Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   2007 - 2013 (GMT900) (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/2007-2013-gmt900-109/)
-   -   2008 Silverado Radio/Speakers issue (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/2007-2013-gmt900-109/2008-silverado-radio-speakers-issue-34419/)

southerngent2no March 12th, 2012 2:27 PM

Stereo speakers

I have a 2008 Silverado ls and I had problems with not hearing the turn signals or warning beeps when you leave your keys in ignition. I did some checking and found the door speaker on the drivers side was not working, which all these alarms are designated to come through. I ordered some big kick butt speakers installed them and have got everything working again.
The speakers GM installed were cheap.....

laman March 12th, 2012 3:43 PM

Originally Posted by southerngent2no (Post 209571)
I have a 2008 Silverado ls and I had problems with not hearing the turn signals or warning beeps when you leave your keys in ignition. I did some checking and found the door speaker on the drivers side was not working, which all these alarms are designated to come through. I ordered some big kick butt speakers installed them and have got everything working again.
The speakers GM installed were cheap.....

What speakers did you put? Where they a direct fit?

baldana March 13th, 2012 9:32 PM

Do you guys know the diameter of the front speakers...?

BigFletch March 14th, 2012 7:37 AM

Originally Posted by BigFletch (Post 206348)
I have an 08 LS with the same problem. The front door speakers work MOST of the time during the summer but in the winter, they never work. I have been thinking about getting new speakers or new stereo unit. I'd rather just get one or the other if I have to. If I take it to the Dealership, will they know whats wrong? In other words, is this a common problem?

Well I ended up going to the dealership to see if they could fix it under warranty. All they did was replace the 2 front door speakers. Since I am only under extended warranty, I had to pay $100. Looking at the parts detail, they are only $40 a piece speakers! I would have rather paid $100-$150 for a decent pair of speakers instead of GM stock crap. I really figured this was an internal radio unit problem. Oh well, I'll take my loss and move on. At least the speakers work, for now.

southerngent2no March 14th, 2012 9:36 AM

The ones I replaced mine with was a set of Alpines. If you go to Crutchfield.com and fill out what kind of truck or car you have they pull up what speakers are compatible with it. I am thinking the size where 2 way Alpine 6000 series speakers. They were a direct fit. But you can buy Kicker, Kenwood, etc etc..

Chevrolet Customer Service March 14th, 2012 2:19 PM

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> baldana,

6-1/2"

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service

vtprairie03 March 15th, 2012 8:11 AM

im still dealing with mine.. its coming up on summer and im going to have to do something.. i did however notice something funny last night. i was pulling down a steep grade from a friends driveway and my speakers upfront that have been out for so long started popping on and off just sitting like that. im sure it has to be a short but if im pulling the door panels off to fix it im replacing them with something good!!!

how hard it is to get the door panels off for those of you guys that have done it? anything to watch for like clips or pins that might be a problem when getting it back on correctly?

southerngent2no March 16th, 2012 9:34 AM

Originally Posted by vtprairie03 (Post 209822)
im still dealing with mine.. its coming up on summer and im going to have to do something.. i did however notice something funny last night. i was pulling down a steep grade from a friends driveway and my speakers upfront that have been out for so long started popping on and off just sitting like that. im sure it has to be a short but if im pulling the door panels off to fix it im replacing them with something good!!!

how hard it is to get the door panels off for those of you guys that have done it? anything to watch for like clips or pins that might be a problem when getting it back on correctly?

I had never removed a door on this truck before and I watched some youtube's on that Crutchfield.com it has photo's of how to remove a door. There is not much to it.

lonas08Z71 April 4th, 2012 11:43 PM

I am having similar problems with my 08 crew cab radio. I noticed the right front speaker not working several months ago. It works some of the time. Now the left front speaker is malfunctioning. Also, when I used the hands free calling the other day I cold barely hear the onstar assistant.

Chevrolet Customer Service April 5th, 2012 8:39 AM

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> lonas08Z71,

It sounds as if there is a short somewhere. Have you had the system inspected?

Louis
GM Customer Service