Notices
2007 - 2013 (GMT900) Section for all discussion related to the 2007-2013 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

2010 5.3l 4x4 vibrating when accelerating

Search this Thread

Old October 30th, 2021, 12:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Silverado WT 5.3l 4x4 vibrating when accelerating

When I'm cruising down the road (not pressing on the gas pedal) the vehicle drives fine but the moment I press on the gas pedal to slowly accelerate the truck starts to vibrate and the tone of the exhaust changes and gets a little deeper. Only way to make it stop is to press harder on the gas pedal. The truck does not hesitate on hard accelerations but only seems to do it when I'm gentle with it. The truck also starts to vibrate when driving down the road and keeping the truck at a speed limit of like 40mph. The truck will always vibrate between the speeds of 15mph-80mph.(haven't gone faster than 80mph) If I put the gear shifter in M5 the truck will drive perfectly fine which is weird. Also the truck will have more of an aggressive vibration when its set in 4wd. What could possibly be the problem? I changed the spark plugs and wires, transmission was changed 50,000 miles ago and I recently took the truck to the dealer but the dealer could not identify the problem. The dealer replaced the torque converter a few days ago but that wasn't it either. The truck has 251,000 miles.

Last edited by Ibrahim118; October 30th, 2021 at 1:00 PM. Reason: Add more details
Old October 30th, 2021, 5:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

mil light on?
torque convertor clutch shudder does seem to match the symptoms. Is that why it was replaced? wondering if m5 shuts off the tcc lock up. Wondering if you can disconnect the tcc solenoid and test drive to see if the problem is gone. Any tcc fuse in the fuse box. if yes...pull the fuse.
Old October 30th, 2021, 5:15 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 92 Likes on 83 Posts

If I understand your description correctly,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, It sounds like your vehicle is losing power under load .
Of course if you place it in a lower gear the RPM goes up and it has no power problem,, Does this sound correct to you?
Old October 30th, 2021, 7:07 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
mil light on?
torque convertor clutch shudder does seem to match the symptoms. Is that why it was replaced? wondering if m5 shuts off the tcc lock up. Wondering if you can disconnect the tcc solenoid and test drive to see if the problem is gone. Any tcc fuse in the fuse box. if yes...pull the fuse.
No mil light at all. The dealer said that the torque converter is bad and needs to be replaced. The dealer replaced the tc but still has the same issue. I did a little research and tests and noticed when disable afm/forced the truck to stay in v8 the truck does not act up the way it does.
Old October 30th, 2021, 7:10 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by hanky
If I understand your description correctly,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, It sounds like your vehicle is losing power under load .
Of course if you place it in a lower gear the RPM goes up and it has no power problem,, Does this sound correct to you?
well actually this only happens when there's no load on the vehicle. Only happens when I'm real gentle with the pedal. I haven't tried placing in a lower gear to increase rpms to test it. I tried putting it in M5 instead of D and drove Like and it was fine. I've noticed that the problem only occurs when it's about 1400 rpms or lower.
Old November 2nd, 2021, 6:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you put the trans in M5 it will disable the AFM/DOD
There seems to be an issue with the engine going into AFM/DOD when it shouldn’t

or, you simply have a failed lifter…

Last edited by Big_kid; November 2nd, 2021 at 6:12 PM.