Notices
2007 - 2013 (GMT900) Section for all discussion related to the 2007-2013 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

2011 Silverado Electronic Freakout

Search this Thread

Old January 27th, 2023, 10:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Silverado Electronic Freakout

Hi all, new to this group and hoping maybe yall could point me in direction. Got a 2011 Silverado 1500 with 5.3 LS. Having a crazy electrical problem. The truck will be running fine and then all of a sudden headlights will flicker, door locks will continually cycle, the trans come out of gear and free revs, the airbag light comes on, did it once and the traction control light popped on, and off, the whole truck just seems to kinda freak out for a second. Any ideas on what to maybe start looking for on something that could be a quick fix? Current a couple of hours home on a weekend trip and not sure if it's going to be able to make it back.
Old January 28th, 2023, 11:51 AM
Banned

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cudakid
Hi all, new to this group and hoping maybe yall could point me in direction. Got a 2011 Silverado 1500 with 5.3 LS. Having a crazy electrical problem. The truck will be running fine and then all of a sudden headlights will flicker, door locks will continually cycle, the trans come out of gear and free revs, the airbag light comes on, did it once and the traction control light popped on, and off, the whole truck just seems to kinda freak out for a second. Any ideas on what to maybe start looking for on something that could be a quick fix? Current a couple of hours home on a weekend trip and not sure if it's going to be able to make it back.
Visually inspect ALL of your Ground connections . Check continuity at each ground cable .Needs to be near zero Ohms at each cable from end to end . and the connection points need to be CLEAN and Solidly connected . It sounds like you have a ground connectionS issue wherein they are making and breaking contact or continuity .
Ground connections Are Critical for Proper Operation of the electronics .
Do you have any diagnostic codes to help point you in the correct direction ?

Old January 29th, 2023, 6:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I had the same problem

My 2010 Silverado did the same thing. I pulled over and put it in neutral and the problem immediately stopped and everything went back to normal. I read that it could be ground related so I decided to upgrade the grounds. I made three, 2 gauge cables with soldered copper terminals. I added one to the existing ground strap from the engine to the firewall, installed one from the engine to the frame, and installed one from the body to the frame. That was 3 years and almost 100,000 miles ago and I haven’t had any issues since.
The following users liked this post:
Christcorp (February 10th, 2023)