Notices
2007 - 2013 (GMT900) Section for all discussion related to the 2007-2013 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.
Old August 11th, 2015, 1:22 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

check engine light, stabilitrak, traction control, bank 1 & 2 lean

Search this Thread

Old July 28th, 2013, 12:02 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

those readings were at idle. i did monitor the idle while spraying with little to no change. rps were pretty steady from 590ish to 602ish or something like that.
so 44 is low? i thought that was pretty normal.........are you thinking its my pump?
i'll see what i can do about checking actual pressure with a guage............any other thoughts?
thanks for the recommendations and feedback
Old July 28th, 2013, 6:16 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

The fuel pressure reading should be 55-65psi range, it should be solid and stable...
Old July 28th, 2013, 2:16 PM
CF Beginner

i'll head to harbor freight in a little bit to get a fuel pressure guage to confirm. i guess if the pressure is solid at 50 then its the fuel pressure regulator thats bad and not the pump?
Old July 28th, 2013, 4:03 PM
CF Beginner

well, my local HB didn't have a fuel pressure gauge so I had to go to autozone. 48 bucks just to confirm that the scanner reading was correct.
so when i first turn on the truck the pressure is solid at about 58, then drops down to 44 and holds there.
do you think this is a pump issue or a regulator issue? clearly the pump will pressurize to 58, but it isn't maintaining the pressure. what i don't know is if the pressure i'm checking is after the regulator which could be adjusting it from what the pump is providing. checked with autozone and its 368 plus tax for a new pump. i dont want to go that route and waste 400 bucks if its not the pump.
hopefully i'm getting closer to finding the issue. any help would be appreciated.
thanks
Old July 28th, 2013, 4:48 PM
Administrator

sounds like it could be a check valve which I believe is in the pump assembly...
But I agree you don't want to replace the pump needlessly...
Old July 28th, 2013, 4:55 PM
CF Beginner

so if the check valve is part of the pump assembly then it sounds like i'd have to replace the pump anyways right?
someone else mentioned maybe getting my computer reflashed? any thoughts on that before I go buying a new pump tomorrow?
Old July 29th, 2013, 8:04 PM
CF Beginner

So hey everyone, thanks for the help. I just bought a new fuel pump and installed it. fuel pressure is steady at 58. i cleared the codes, drove the truck for about a half hour and no check engine light. i'm hoping all is well. scanner did not show any pending codes.
however the entire time i was driving the service stabilitrack and traction control lights kept coming on and this time the lights actually stayed on for a couple minutes at a time, not just flashing up and going away. i borrowed a different scanner that did abs and now I'm getting code C0561. It said it was a generic code so I don't know exactly what it means. I'm going to check the forum for that code and see what I can learn, but any help would be greatly appreciated. Gonna get the truck smogged tomorrow and hopefully get my sticker before it expires on the first.
Old July 30th, 2013, 7:45 AM
Administrator

Excellent, hopefully it will resolve those issues...might want to try clearing all the codes and see what shows back up...
Old July 30th, 2013, 8:50 AM
CF Beginner

Well looks like I was premature in saying that all was good. Looks like I just wasted a bunch of money. On my way to work this morning, my check engine light came on again. I haven't had it scanned yet, but I can only assume that its the same issue. If I scan again and my pressure is low that means I totally wasted my money on the pump and that wasn't the issue. I'm guessing fuel pressure regulator, which also means new intake manifold gasket since I have to remove the intake manifold to get to the sensor???? Help, I'm at my wits end with this truck, what else could it be?
Old July 30th, 2013, 10:45 AM
Administrator

I wouldn't be too bummed about it, you could have gone the other way and it could have ended up being the fuel pump anyway... at least now you know that its not the pump, check valve or fuel filter....

And consider what you have saved by doing it yourself taking it to the dealer and they could have troubleshot it the exact same way...

Quick Reply: check engine light, stabilitrak, traction control, bank 1 & 2 lean