Notices
2007 - 2013 (GMT900) Section for all discussion related to the 2007-2013 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Cold start issue

Search this Thread

Old January 13th, 2019, 10:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold start issue

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 5.3 liter vortec 4x4.
Rough idle (Signifigant bouncing rpm) for 15-45 seconds when cold started. Once warm it runs and idles perfect.
Not throwing any codes.
Was just at the mechanic for new AFM and normal valve lifters.
It has new machined heads and *new* intake and exhaust gaskets. New spark plugs.
Problem started 3 days after the $4000 repair.

The thottle body has been cleaned, idle relearned, codes reset my shorting battery terminals, sensors checked and mechanic has tried swapping "multiple components" and doesn't know what to do.
Wants to send it to a dealership for computer reflash and go from there.

Mechanic did do a unlit propane test at intake gasket, but I'm not sure if it was during cold start or after it had warmed up. I have video of how it sounds if there is a way to send it to you. Didn’t work to attach.

Looking for anything to help us troubleshoot this. Huge thanks in advance.
Old January 13th, 2019, 11:29 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Colette Hayes
2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 5.3 liter vortec 4x4.
Rough idle (Signifigant bouncing rpm) for 15-45 seconds when cold started. Once warm it runs and idles perfect.
Not throwing any codes.
Was just at the mechanic for new AFM and normal valve lifters.
It has new machined heads and *new* intake and exhaust gaskets. New spark plugs.
Problem started 3 days after the $4000 repair.

The thottle body has been cleaned, idle relearned, codes reset my shorting battery terminals, sensors checked and mechanic has tried swapping "multiple components" and doesn't know what to do.
Wants to send it to a dealership for computer reflash and go from there.

Mechanic did do a unlit propane test at intake gasket, but I'm not sure if it was during cold start or after it had warmed up. I have video of how it sounds if there is a way to send it to you. Didn’t work to attach.

Looking for anything to help us troubleshoot this. Huge thanks in advance.
Sounds like might be a small intake leak that seals when engine is warm to me. Might be a good idea to re- torque your intake manifold and check everything for tightness.
Old January 14th, 2019, 8:48 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you so much! Will definitely check into that potential issue. Much appreciated man!
Old January 15th, 2019, 9:10 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Colette Hayes
Thank you so much! Will definitely check into that potential issue. Much appreciated man!
You are quite welcome..