Notices
2007 - 2013 (GMT900) Section for all discussion related to the 2007-2013 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

highway speed noise.

Search this Thread

Old January 31st, 2017, 3:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default highway speed noise.

I have noticed a new noise that sounds like it's coming from the rear axle or the rear wheels. It happens at over 40 mph and gets worse as I increase the speed. I jacked up the rear of the truck to check the axle bearings and there is about an 1/8 of an inch of play on both sides. Is it a bad bearing or should I keep looking? Could it be something a lot simpler like just road noise. I checked the tire pressure and its where it should be. The noise started about 3 weeks ago and has not gotten ant worse. Any ideas?
Old February 1st, 2017, 1:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since the noise is coming from the rear it's the wheel bearing that's bad, my boyfriend had a similar issue with his pickup and once he got that fixed the noise was gone.
Old February 1st, 2017, 3:11 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Sylvester
I have noticed a new noise that sounds like it's coming from the rear axle or the rear wheels. It happens at over 40 mph and gets worse as I increase the speed. I jacked up the rear of the truck to check the axle bearings and there is about an 1/8 of an inch of play on both sides. Is it a bad bearing or should I keep looking? Could it be something a lot simpler like just road noise. I checked the tire pressure and its where it should be. The noise started about 3 weeks ago and has not gotten ant worse. Any ideas?
If the lugs are tight, you should have .002" inch on a ball bearing or roller bearing, so 1/8 inch, yes that's an issue.