Notices
2007 - 2013 (GMT900) Section for all discussion related to the 2007-2013 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Hood Ajar Sensor

Search this Thread

Old August 4th, 2018, 7:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hood Ajar Sensor

Hello All,
First time poster, but have used this site on many occasions.
I have a 2008 Silverado, 4.8 v8, crewcab 4x4. On occasions the instrumentation panel displays "hood open". I found the sensor and it looks / appears to be a simple micro switch or is it something more than that?
Apparently you can't just buy the replacement sensor / switch, you must purchase the whole latch mechanism.

What have others with this issue done ?
Thank you

Ray
Old August 5th, 2018, 9:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

replace the latch
just verify you don't have a wiring problem. unplug the connector...grd the wire and verify the switch message in the dic sees the change in state.
Old August 6th, 2018, 10:01 AM
CF Beginner

Thank you Tech2 for the response.
You do bring up a valid point. Since this is an intermittent issue, I didn't think to check the wiring. Well, I looked at the connector but I didn't trace the wiring back through the harness. I will give it a look through tonight and give it ago with the test you suggested. This issue started out as the alarm randomly going off (I just manually lock the doors now) and I think I have it narrowed down to this hood ajar sensor.
I'll go ahead and order the bracket and follow up if it resolves or doesnt resolve my issue.

Thank you again for the assistance

Ray

Last edited by 73surf; August 6th, 2018 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old September 4th, 2018, 9:37 PM
CF Beginner

Update : issue resolved, replaced latch mechanism after checking wiring and connector
Thank you for the assistance
Regards
Ray