2007 - 2013 (GMT900) Section for all discussion related to the 2007-2013 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Leaf springs

Search this Thread

Old February 11th, 2020 | 5:50 PM
CF Beginner

Default Leaf springs

Hey. I just recently had 2 leaf springs crack on my chevy silverado 07. Drivers side i lowered gas tank. Took off trailer hitch and took off the spring. The bolts were insanely hard to remove from the rubber in the springs. So for the passenger side i was going to only change the smaller 2 leafs and keep the big one on so i do nit have to remove them. Thus saving me alot of work. Driver side springs that i am using to replace it came off from another truck similar to mine and i have the matching set. Since i changed the whoke left side springs for the used part. And im only changing the 2 bottom leaf's and them pitting it back together. Does it matter that the 2 big leaf springs with the bushings are not the matching set. One being new i just out on and the other side sticking with original spring and swapping bottom 2. Will it make a difference in my suspension? Is it bad for my truck? Is it okay if i do it this way? Any recommendations or comments are very much appreciated
Old February 11th, 2020 | 8:19 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by Shawn Major
Hey. I just recently had 2 leaf springs crack on my chevy silverado 07. Drivers side i lowered gas tank. Took off trailer hitch and took off the spring. The bolts were insanely hard to remove from the rubber in the springs. So for the passenger side i was going to only change the smaller 2 leafs and keep the big one on so i do nit have to remove them. Thus saving me alot of work. Driver side springs that i am using to replace it came off from another truck similar to mine and i have the matching set. Since i changed the whoke left side springs for the used part. And im only changing the 2 bottom leaf's and them pitting it back together. Does it matter that the 2 big leaf springs with the bushings are not the matching set. One being new i just out on and the other side sticking with original spring and swapping bottom 2. Will it make a difference in my suspension? Is it bad for my truck? Is it okay if i do it this way? Any recommendations or comments are very much appreciated
Doubtful, unless you are loading that pickup down hard. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old February 15th, 2020 | 5:26 PM
Super Moderator

you should be fine. I have changed individual leaves and noticed no change in handling or ride height. you might want to have the alignment checked afterwards. ride height changes will effect toe settings.