Notices
2007 - 2013 (GMT900) Section for all discussion related to the 2007-2013 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Left bank lean and low oil pressure

Old March 6th, 2019, 6:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Left bank lean and low oil pressure

Recently purchased a 2008 Silverado LT with the LY5 5.3L and 183,000+ miles. Grabbed it for ten grand. Well, it is throwing a left bank lean code and recently threw a "low oil pressure, shut off engine" light and warning after a quick 10 mile trip. The truck was running fine and threw the oil pressure light after backing into the driveway. Oil and filter recently changed, oil level fine, no noticable leaks around any gaskets or seals. Cleaned MAF sensor and air filter in hopes that it would get rid of the left bank lean issue (it did not). Strange sound (like a winding noise but not loud) coming from fuel pump. Truck idles after it warms up a bit at around 600 RPMs and the oil pressure stays slightly above 20 according to the gauge at idle. Are these numbers too low? It may be hesitating at idle as well but cannot be sure as it is kind of a faint drop in rpms them goes back up. Anyone have similar issues? Probably going to have to rebuild but was hoping I'd get lucky with a less intensive fix. I do not have a scanner or gauges to test pressure. I'll be looking for vacuum leaks next for the left bank lean issue.
Old March 6th, 2019, 6:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 506 Likes on 466 Posts

check the oil pressure sensor and sensor screen. the screen can plug up. the sensor is located behind the intake manifold...driver left rear side.....the screen is under the sensor.....remove the sensor and pull up the screen with a angle pick tool.

check the fuel trim for both banks. if both are lean....probably needs a fuel pump.....check the fuel pressure.
Old March 8th, 2019, 5:46 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank you

Thank you

Search this Thread