Notices
2007 - 2013 (GMT900) Section for all discussion related to the 2007-2013 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Loud Whining Noise Found Low Rearend Oil

Search this Thread

Old February 11th, 2017, 6:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud Whining Noise Found Low Rearend Oil

I have less than 57,000 miles on my Silverado and I started getting a whine. I thought it was the transmission because the noise would change when the transmission changed. I called Chevrolet Customer Care being it just ran out of drive train warranty to see if they could help with repair. No luck, just bad attitudes. The first Chevrolet dealership I took it to didn't have any transmission techs. Took it to a GMC dealership where they charge $100 to pinpoint the problem and give an estimate to fix. Paid them to tell me it's the transmission or rear end, they didn't know but still charged me. (I knew it was either/or) I took it home and was about to pull the rear cover to check for metal when I decided to check the gear oil level. It was over a quart low FROM the factory! I bought it new and it doesn't have a leak and never has. NOW, I still have the noise. What could I have messed up being I drove it too low on oil that would cause a loud whine/siren noise? Thanks!
Old February 12th, 2017, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

top up the oil and see it that changes anything. check your rear axle seals, vent.
If its still noisy, change it all, side bearings, pinon bearings, crown and pinion
Old February 22nd, 2017, 3:49 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by John Frazee
I have less than 57,000 miles on my Silverado and I started getting a whine. I thought it was the transmission because the noise would change when the transmission changed. I called Chevrolet Customer Care being it just ran out of drive train warranty to see if they could help with repair. No luck, just bad attitudes. The first Chevrolet dealership I took it to didn't have any transmission techs. Took it to a GMC dealership where they charge $100 to pinpoint the problem and give an estimate to fix. Paid them to tell me it's the transmission or rear end, they didn't know but still charged me. (I knew it was either/or) I took it home and was about to pull the rear cover to check for metal when I decided to check the gear oil level. It was over a quart low FROM the factory! I bought it new and it doesn't have a leak and never has. NOW, I still have the noise. What could I have messed up being I drove it too low on oil that would cause a loud whine/siren noise? Thanks!
Hello John,

We're very sorry to hear that you received anything less than exceptional service from us, and we would welcome the opportunity to look into this further on our end. Since it sounds like you've had a case within our system, could you please send us a private message with your VIN or case number in order to get started?

To learn more about GM’s privacy policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html.

We look forward to your response,

Chelsea D.
Chevrolet Customer Care