Notices
2007 - 2013 (GMT900) Section for all discussion related to the 2007-2013 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

new 2012 silverado rearend clunk new update

Search this Thread

Old February 4th, 2013, 8:01 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down new 2012 silverado rearend clunk new update

will after 5 trips and 3 dealers and filing a claim bbb.Now GM wants me to get a third party expert to drive my truck and new a new one off the lot and see if the noises are the same.They are saying its a normal trait of the clunking in there trucks.I told the rep from bbb this is BS I thought there Techs are experts,now that one of there techs say the noise is a problem.They want a third party to say it is fine;'.I am done playing this game'I told bbb rep that I want to go to arbitration this is wasting my time and money for these people to avoid fixing a defect.After all this I will never buy a GM product and the GM cus.care center is a joke they do not want to fix a thing but BS the owner.I will update after After arbitration hearing which should be soon.I will not GIVE UP TIL THIS IS FIXED
Old May 14th, 2014, 9:29 PM
CF Beginner

Default clunk truck

Originally Posted by marbles 1965
will after 5 trips and 3 dealers and filing a claim bbb.Now GM wants me to get a third party expert to drive my truck and new a new one off the lot and see if the noises are the same.They are saying its a normal trait of the clunking in there trucks.I told the rep from bbb this is BS I thought there Techs are experts,now that one of there techs say the noise is a problem.They want a third party to say it is fine;'.I am done playing this game'I told bbb rep that I want to go to arbitration this is wasting my time and money for these people to avoid fixing a defect.After all this I will never buy a GM product and the GM cus.care center is a joke they do not want to fix a thing but BS the owner.I will update after After arbitration hearing which should be soon.I will not GIVE UP TIL THIS IS FIXED
l have a clunking truck too. Such bs from the dealer. What wad the outcome?
Old May 15th, 2014, 11:25 AM
CF Junior Member

tell them to put their special lubricant on the drive shaft yoke.
Old October 21st, 2014, 10:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've personally owned 4 Chevy trucks and 2 Suburbans, over the past 25 years. ONLY, the 2012 LTZ 4x4 has this jarring, metallic slam when down-shifting and up-shifting at most all speeds and under most driving conditions. It's easily reproduced by GM service experts and NOTHING has been done to correct it. Two dealerships, five service visits, zero repairs. Lots of friendly, polite, "drives like a 2012 4x4 LTZ Silverado," and nonsensical references to its 6-speed transmission. Wish Chevrolet cared about this defect!
Old October 21st, 2014, 10:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ristpin, can you share more information on "their special lubricant?"
Old November 17th, 2014, 12:26 PM
CF Junior Member

Sorry for the delayed reply, I don't get on this site too often. I've used this on 2 Silverado"s. It is GM Part 1#12345879, also has Gr. 8.800 on the can. Say's "Special Lubricant" on the front. I had used all kinds of synthetic grease, lubes, nothing worked. This does. The drive shaft has to be removed, and the front spline on the transmission yoke has to be lubed with this. It lets the spline slide freely, with no "stiction" (Is that a word?) with out sticking, then "clunking" when it releases as the yoke moves on the tranny shaft. Hope it works for you, it did for me. By the way, I think the small can was about $30.
Old May 7th, 2015, 6:41 PM
CF Beginner

I purchased a used 2012 Silverado LT with the 5.3 liter automatic and after driving for a few days noticed a rear end whine. I carried it to the local chevy dealership and they said it has a stripped bolt in the rear end and they rebuilt the rearend with a new ring and pinion and bearing. Whine is gone. However, I have since noticed a clunk and free play in the drive shaft. I can grab my truck by the tailgate and push it back and forth and it will move 4 to 6 inches and I can hear a drive shaft noise. Took it back to the local Chevrolet dealership and they told me this is "Normal"
Old May 8th, 2015, 7:28 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by lwetherington
I purchased a used 2012 Silverado LT with the 5.3 liter automatic and after driving for a few days noticed a rear end whine. I carried it to the local chevy dealership and they said it has a stripped bolt in the rear end and they rebuilt the rearend with a new ring and pinion and bearing. Whine is gone. However, I have since noticed a clunk and free play in the drive shaft. I can grab my truck by the tailgate and push it back and forth and it will move 4 to 6 inches and I can hear a drive shaft noise. Took it back to the local Chevrolet dealership and they told me this is "Normal"
Hello Lwetherington,

We understand how frustrating this may seem for you, and we would be happy to look into this further. Please feel free to send us a private message to us along with your VIN, current mileage, contact information and preferred dealership. Looking forward to your response.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old May 8th, 2015, 9:23 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2012 Silverado

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
Hello Lwetherington,

We understand how frustrating this may seem for you, and we would be happy to look into this further. Please feel free to send us a private message to us along with your VIN, current mileage, contact information and preferred dealership. Looking forward to your response.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care

Thank you for your offer to look into this further. I am going with the dealerships word that this is normal. It seems that a lot of others have the same concerns. If it worsens I will bring it back to the dealership.
Old May 8th, 2015, 9:44 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by lwetherington
Thank you for your offer to look into this further. I am going with the dealerships word that this is normal. It seems that a lot of others have the same concerns. If it worsens I will bring it back to the dealership.
Sounds like a plan! Thanks for the prompt response, and we will be here when you decide to bring this back to the dealership for additional diagnosis. Enjoy your weekend!

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care

Quick Reply: new 2012 silverado rearend clunk new update