Notices
2007 - 2013 (GMT900) Section for all discussion related to the 2007-2013 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Shift Indicator Not Working

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2021, 3:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation Shift Indicator Not Working

Hey guys, need some serious help... I was revving my engine on my 2008 Silverado and heard what sounded like a fuse popping from the dash and now my shift indicator doesn't show which gear I'm in and my reverse lights do not illuminate. My odometer works fine, and the gears are illuminated, just not the square that highlights which gear I'm in. It's not even highlighting the P when in Park. It's just gone. The truck cranks and drives fine other than that, you just have to feel for which gear you're in. I've just changed out the Neutral Safety Back-Up Switch on the side of the transmission thinking that was the culprit, but no change. I've gone over every fuse and relay. Something else odd is that there's a loud relay-like clicking sound coming from my steering column now when I press the brake, which wasn't even noticeable prior. I called a cluster repair service to see if that maybe the problem and they said my cluster is fine, that it's my shift indicator sensor. I have no idea what that means, as I can't find any part on my truck named that, unless he was referring to the NSBU sensor. Any help would GREATLY be appreciated. I'm losing my mind over this.
Old May 26th, 2021, 1:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well I finally figured it out! Even though my check engine light wasn't on I decided to hook up a diablo tuner I bought for my wife's suburban to see if there were any codes. I was able to see a logged code: P1818 - Transmission Fluid Pressure Valve Position Switch-Drive Without Drive Ratio. It appears that the truck enabled a some sort of safety to protect the transmission while I was revving it. After clearing the code my shift indicator returned, my reverse lights now work, and the clicking in my steering column when pressing the brake has disappeared. I took it for a test drive and all is well!
The following 2 users liked this post by Valgar:
oilcanhenry (May 27th, 2021), Rednucleus (May 26th, 2021)
Old February 17th, 2022, 1:07 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Valgar
Well I finally figured it out! Even though my check engine light wasn't on I decided to hook up a diablo tuner I bought for my wife's suburban to see if there were any codes. I was able to see a logged code: P1818 - Transmission Fluid Pressure Valve Position Switch-Drive Without Drive Ratio. It appears that the truck enabled a some sort of safety to protect the transmission while I was revving it. After clearing the code my shift indicator returned, my reverse lights now work, and the clicking in my steering column when pressing the brake has disappeared. I took it for a test drive and all is well!

Hi, so I have this same issue but only in (2nd) and (1st) with automatic transmission.
Also related to my STABLITRACK light coming on as well.
Old December 6th, 2023, 5:10 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Valgar
I'm having the same exact issue but it keeps coming back and going away. Did you have the issue again or have to replace anything?
Old December 6th, 2023, 5:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 677 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by tbell19881
I'm having the same exact issue
have you run diagnostics on the transmission system?
Old December 6th, 2023, 5:39 PM
CF Beginner

I'm having the same exact issue but it keeps coming back and going away. Did you have the issue again or have to replace anything?
I did and it was giving the same code you have I believe but I just dropped it off at the transmission shop to have it serviced and they're going to replace the electronics while they're at it. They seem to think it's either the electronics in the transmission or the harness on the truck itself but it's so intermittent. It one of my fleet trucks so I don't have too much time to tinker with it.
Old December 9th, 2023, 7:56 PM
CF Beginner

The shop found the issue while servicing the transmission. The wiring harness coming of the transmission had some damage bare wiring under the heat shield. At the connector and about a foot up from that by the transmission. Hope this helps someone in the future that might come across this.