Notices
2007 - 2013 (GMT900) Section for all discussion related to the 2007-2013 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Side molding glue or cement?

Search this Thread

Old November 16th, 2018, 12:34 PM
CF Active Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Side molding glue or cement?

My wife's 2011 Duramax crew cab's door outside molding is coming unglued. This is the molding that protect door paint from inconsiderate drivers slamming their doors into my door. Coming back from a trip, a friend pointed out that one piece was about to fall off. I temporarily fixed it with duct tape. Now, I am glad I did since a new kit is almost 200 bucks. What is the best adhesive to glue these lose pieces back on.
Old December 26th, 2018, 9:22 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same issue. I cleaned up the area with solvent then used Permatex Black Silicone. The key is to do it on a hot day the the bright sun shining on the door. Run a silicone bead on the inside of the moulding. Press the moulding against the door. Using pieces of wood (2 x 6 ) works well, lean the plank against the door. It’s best to have small cross piece nailed to the plank and put something heavy above it such as a large rock. Keep like that for 24 hours. There might be some silicone squeezed out but not much you can do about that.
Old December 26th, 2018, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

the factory uses two sided tape but adhesive if fine. I used windshield urethane on one molding...its never coming off.
The following users liked this post:
Paul Schneider (September 18th, 2019)
Old December 27th, 2018, 7:27 AM
CF Active Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Suburban Dude
I had the same issue. I cleaned up the area with solvent then used Permatex Black Silicone. The key is to do it on a hot day the the bright sun shining on the door. Run a silicone bead on the inside of the moulding. Press the moulding against the door. Using pieces of wood (2 x 6 ) works well, lean the plank against the door. It’s best to have small cross piece nailed to the plank and put something heavy above it such as a large rock. Keep like that for 24 hours. There might be some silicone squeezed out but not much you can do about that.
Thanks to all for replying. I bought a tube of marine 5200, blue masking tape, duct tape, and was preparing to pull, clean and re-glue piece. But, then my wife got impatient. So, I took it to a reputable body shop and let her pay $150 to re-glue all 4 doors. Works for me....