Notices
2007 - 2013 (GMT900) Section for all discussion related to the 2007-2013 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Spare Tire Tool & Tire Lowering

Search this Thread

Old March 6th, 2016, 1:13 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Spare Tire Tool & Tire Lowering

I know this may be a little bit of a newbie question, but I just tried to take down the spare tire on Saturday on my 2013 Silverado. I purchased it brand new in Jan 2013 and have never accessed the tools much less the spare tire itself up to this point. I inserted the rod with the flat and kind of curved end into the spare tire shaft/tube (after removing the key lock), attached an extension rod and the lug nut tool to torque the rods, but the flat/curved end will not catch inside to start lowering the tire down. I looked down the hole with a flashlight and it appears the slot is vertical and slightly to the left. For the life of me, I can't get this tool to catch. I took it to a tire shop where they were unsuccessful as well. They told me the tool has a curve in the end, but when I google the toolkit, it appears its supposed to be this way. Image I would take it to the dealership, but of course they are only open Mon - Fri when I work. Only sales are open on Saturdays. Any ideas of why it might not be catching? Any protips I can try to get this tire to come down? I want to inspect the tire and such before my next long trip, just in case, and want to know I can actually access my spare. Sorry if this question is trivial to some, but to me, I am stuck like chuck until I take a day off to sit at the dealership for a few hours.
Old September 10th, 2017, 8:27 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this happen. The tube that the extention rod goes down comes off at the spare tire end. Thus not aligned with the slot or key I crawled under truck put back into place and worked perfect.
Old September 26th, 2017, 6:31 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Eags
I had this happen. The tube that the extention rod goes down comes off at the spare tire end. Thus not aligned with the slot or key I crawled under truck put back into place and worked perfect.
Yup...have someone try inserting the tool while you lay under the spare and you'll see where the problem is (or just insert it as far as you can, then crawl under and see what's misaligned). You can push it into place to get the tire down if you need to. Might take two people, though. One to push and one to direct the end of the tool. Your pic of the tool shows it the way it's supposed to be. The "hook" is to keep it from slipping out of the jack.

Last edited by meternerd; September 26th, 2017 at 6:36 PM.