Notices
2007 - 2013 (GMT900) Section for all discussion related to the 2007-2013 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Starter stays engaged after starting

Search this Thread

Old September 22nd, 2017, 8:35 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter stays engaged after starting

I have a 2010 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. When I fill up the gas tank and get back into the truck to start it, the starter stays engaged even after letting off the key and the motor sounds like it's trying to run. When I turn the key to the off position it quits. This happens twice, then it starts fine. I replaced the starter and gas cap already. Any advice on what to check next?
Old September 27th, 2017, 7:10 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Replace the purge valve solenoid. It's probably sticking open, and when you refuel it's flooding the engine, so the engine chokes on too much fuel. Is the check engine light on?

Had the same problem on my Suburban. IIRC, the part was $23 and I replaced it myself. Not sure where it's located on the 5.3, but on my 6.0 it was located on top of the block right behind the alternator.
Old September 27th, 2017, 11:48 AM
CF Beginner

My check engine light stays on! It says vacuum leak. The garage that replaced my engine (I now have a Jasper replacement engine) has checked it twice, even doing a smoke test and can't find anything. I'm not sure it's flooding, because it sounds like it is running with the starter still engaged. One time I turned the switch off and back on real quick which disengaged the starter, and kept the engine running. But I am willing to try the purge valve solenoid, pretty much will try anything now. Thanks for the advice.
Old September 29th, 2017, 12:16 PM
CF Active Member

I'd check the wiring to the starter. If the solenoid stays energized then the starter motor won't disengage.
Old September 30th, 2017, 8:04 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks I'll try that
Old May 10th, 2019, 4:02 AM
CF Beginner

Default Same issue

Originally Posted by Jeremy36
I have a 2010 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. When I fill up the gas tank and get back into the truck to start it, the starter stays engaged even after letting off the key and the motor sounds like it's trying to run. When I turn the key to the off position it quits. This happens twice, then it starts fine. I replaced the starter and gas cap already. Any advice on what to check next?
My 2007 Tahoe has recently started doing this exact same thing, always after fueling up, always twice and the starter has been replaced. Did you figure out your issue?
Old May 10th, 2019, 8:43 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

intheburbs is correct.
you probably have a check engine light on for a evap leak or purge fault. When fueling...for fuel to enter the tank, air must push out of the tank. In a working evap system it vents out the canister vent valve. The fault...with the purge valve open, the vapours enter the manifold/engine and create a flood condition. This creates a long crank time. Modern vehicles...starting is a request...not a command. so you turn the key and a computer cranks the engine over...even if you let the key go back to run...the pcm still cranks the engine over for a set time.

replace the purge solenoid and your probably fixed.
Old May 10th, 2019, 9:19 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
intheburbs is correct.
you probably have a check engine light on for a evap leak or purge fault. When fueling...for fuel to enter the tank, air must push out of the tank. In a working evap system it vents out the canister vent valve. The fault...with the purge valve open, the vapours enter the manifold/engine and create a flood condition. This creates a long crank time. Modern vehicles...starting is a request...not a command. so you turn the key and a computer cranks the engine over...even if you let the key go back to run...the pcm still cranks the engine over for a set time.

replace the purge solenoid and your probably fixed.
Very interesting! I did for a short time (a day) have a CEL that came up for a purge valve but it went away (i did not reset it) and I figured it was a glitch or it wouldn't have cleared so quickly. I'll try that. Thanks!