Notices
2007 - 2013 (GMT900) Section for all discussion related to the 2007-2013 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Traction Control & Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old January 30th, 2023, 10:44 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traction Control & Spark Plugs

Hey guys, First time posting. I'm not smart when it comes to vehicle repair, so please bear with me if I get some of the details wrong.

I have a 2011 Silverado 1500 LS 4x4 with 230,000 miles. About three weeks ago the check engine light started blinking and beeping, and I started receiving two messages: Service Stabilitrak and Traction Control Off (I think). The mechanic couldn't get the codes to pop up (not sure why, because they're constantly on for me) but he thought he knew the issue. $1,987 later, I have two new front hub assemblies, front brake rotors, front brake pads, and a new fuel pump.

Also - $1,987 later - the problem has not been fixed.

The mechanic finally got the code to pop up for him this morning, and there was nothing listed about stabilitrak or traction control, just something about the spark plug on the 3rd cylinder. He checked with another mechanic he knows who deals with Chevy trucks, and that mechanic told him that a spark plug could indeed interfere with traction control and cause that issue. My mechanic went in and replaced the plug, coil, etc. - he even swapped the current plugs around - and the problem is still there.

So ... he's now telling me that my engine is likely shot and that it will cost me about $7,000 to put in a new one. He also conveniently dropped that if I'm ready to move on from the truck, his son would be happy to buy it (which seemed sketchy to me, but maybe I'm just frustrated at the whole situation).

With all that said, does this situation make sense? If so (or if not), does anybody have any advice on how to proceed? Should I get a second opinion, or does the spark plug situation tell us everything we need to know about the engine?

Thanks for your help!

Old January 30th, 2023, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

flashing cel= engine misfire. any misfire condition will disable traction control. Fix the misfire and the traction control will work normally.
a good shop will observe the misfire monitors on the scan tool. This will allow you to determine which cylinders are misfiring. if the misfires occur only on one cylinder...swap a coil and plug to a good cylinder. if the misfire follows the plug/coil...replace plug/coil. if the misfire stays on the original cylinder...do a compression test.
The following users liked this post:
ToughLuckAuggie (January 31st, 2023)
Old January 31st, 2023, 8:02 AM
CF Beginner

Thank you, Tech2! I appreciate the insight. It sounds exactly like my situation, and what my mechanic did to try and diagnose the issue, so it sounds like we're on the right track. Thank you again for your time and response!
Old January 31st, 2023, 11:53 AM
Banned

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default C E L issues

Originally Posted by ToughLuckAuggie
Hey guys, First time posting. I'm not smart when it comes to vehicle repair, so please bear with me if I get some of the details wrong.

I have a 2011 Silverado 1500 LS 4x4 with 230,000 miles. About three weeks ago the check engine light started blinking and beeping, and I started receiving two messages: Service Stabilitrak and Traction Control Off (I think). The mechanic couldn't get the codes to pop up (not sure why, because they're constantly on for me) but he thought he knew the issue. $1,987 later, I have two new front hub assemblies, front brake rotors, front brake pads, and a new fuel pump.

Also - $1,987 later - the problem has not been fixed.

The mechanic finally got the code to pop up for him this morning, and there was nothing listed about stabilitrak or traction control, just something about the spark plug on the 3rd cylinder. He checked with another mechanic he knows who deals with Chevy trucks, and that mechanic told him that a spark plug could indeed interfere with traction control and cause that issue. My mechanic went in and replaced the plug, coil, etc. - he even swapped the current plugs around - and the problem is still there.

So ... he's now telling me that my engine is likely shot and that it will cost me about $7,000 to put in a new one. He also conveniently dropped that if I'm ready to move on from the truck, his son would be happy to buy it (which seemed sketchy to me, but maybe I'm just frustrated at the whole situation).

With all that said, does this situation make sense? If so (or if not), does anybody have any advice on how to proceed? Should I get a second opinion, or does the spark plug situation tell us everything we need to know about the engine?

Thanks for your help!
Have you tried replacing the ignition coil for #3 cylinder ? How long has it been since All the Plugs and wires were replaced ? Were the OEM IRIDIUM plugs put in or something cheaper like platinum or copper ? As already mentioned by another Tech , ANY miss in any cylinder will deactivate the traction control AS WELL AS any issues with Wheel speed sensors , Steering angle sensor , and the failure of communications on the CAN Data Buss between modules from either bad wiring to something as simple as corroded fuses like I had that were causing power failures to the control modules . Those fuses were visually ok but failed continuity tests .
The following users liked this post:
ToughLuckAuggie (January 31st, 2023)
Old January 31st, 2023, 2:12 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks rcorn! I appreciate it! It's my understanding that my mechanic did try replacing the plug, wires and coil on cylinder 3 with new components. That didn't solve the problem. I'm not sure how high of quality he used, however. He also tried using existing plug / wires / coil units (swapping out from other cylinders) and that didn't solve the problem either. Thanks for your insight!!