Notices
2007 - 2013 (GMT900) Section for all discussion related to the 2007-2013 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Truck electrical shuts off while driving?

Search this Thread

Old September 22nd, 2019, 8:13 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck electrical shuts off while driving?

Every week or so my Truck will lose electrical power intermittently while driving. The engine stays on, seems like it sputters a little bit but I'm not sure. All the electrical goes off IE stereo, dash lights, A/C lights, A/C itself, even gauges drop like the car is off, door locks will lock and unlock on their own several times, all of this can happen at the same time or sometimes it's a random mixture of all those issues, after 5 sec or less the power comes back but shuts off again during the same drive repeatedly. I'm usually able to get where I'm going but when I turn the truck off it won't immiediately start again even if I try to jump start it, it acts like it's completely dead. After I'm parked, weird stuff starts to happen, I get a loud screech/buzzing periodically when I open the door(no keys in ignition), or sometimes when I try to start it to, sounds like it's coming from the dash in the cab, not under the hood, one time the horn started honking on its own repeatedly when I opened the door, I don't have an alarm. Even with no keys in the ignition, if I sit in the car, I'll periodically hear "electrical noises" almost like the car is just about to fully crank, like the key is half way turned in the ignition and my gauges will jump a little bit for a few seconds. I usually have to wait a little while before it starts up again, nothing seems to get it started besides waiting an hour or upto over night. I've taken it in a couple times but mechanics can't identify the problem bc it doesn't happen when I get it to them, The battery is fine the alternator tested good. I'm not a pro but seems like something is drawing too much power and continues to draw power slightly when the car is off.

Last edited by Tylor Hansen; September 22nd, 2019 at 10:23 AM.
Old September 22nd, 2019, 1:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 667 Likes on 605 Posts

Sounds like you've got some ugly intermittent electrical gremlins.

I would start with the easy stuff like checking fuses. Not just looking at them but test them with a meter.

Then I would start opening all the major electronic devices: PCM, BCM, underhood and cabin fuse blocks.
Check them for moisture and corrosion. Make sure the connectors are clean and seated properly.
Old September 22nd, 2019, 7:56 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

I agree, thinking it might be the BCM