Notices
2014 - 2018 (GMT-K2) Section for all discussion related to the 2014 - 2018 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

2016 Chevrolet Silverado vs 2016 Ford F150 Bed Impact Test - Video

Search this Thread

Old June 8th, 2016, 12:23 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 Chevrolet Silverado vs 2016 Ford F150 Bed Impact Test - Video

2016 Chevrolet Silverado vs 2016 Ford F150 Bed Impact Test

Old June 8th, 2016, 6:29 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chevrolet Torture-Tests the Bed of the Silverado to Prove the Strength of Steel

Chevrolet Torture-Tests the Bed of the Silverado to Prove the Strength of Steel

Automotive trends, capabilities, and technologies change every year, but one part of the industry hasn't changed in quite some time: the rivalry between Chevrolet and Ford trucks. What you're about to see will keep it going.

Read the rest on the ChevroletForum.com homepage. >>
Old June 10th, 2016, 4:20 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While interesting, it is in the same category as the "one armed bandit" timken bearing machine tester to prove that a oil or additive is superior. It is specious at best. Only a complete moron would buy a $40K+ pickup and then dump a skid loader bucket full of concrete blocks, from height, in the bed. I can see dirt, mulch, or gravel, but even someone with a shoe sized IQ would be using a bed mat if they were dumping in heavy, hard stuff from a loader. Not even many construction crews are that stupid. And the tool box thing, I may be just an old Viet Nam vet who is getting tired and lazy, but I am not going to push a box of tools over the rail and let them fall. Probably have tools all over the box and even some damaged expensive ones. When one has an agenda, they can prove anything. There is an old saying in the computer industry... if you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything.

If aluminum were so bad, then one has to wonder why it is used extensively in commercial HD trailers. Many flatbeds are made almost entirely of aluminum. And you don't think junk gets dropped on them and drug across them? Many HD truck frames and drive axle housings are made of aluminum and hold up for millions of miles.

Last edited by Cowpie; June 10th, 2016 at 4:23 PM.
Old June 10th, 2016, 5:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 508 Likes on 468 Posts

I don't think the test results surprized anyone...oh wow, look at that, steel is stronger!

I want to see how they compare/hold up 10years from now.

I have never seen an automotive aluminum frame(trailer maybe) or axle housing in LD or MD applications. Who uses this?
Old June 11th, 2016, 5:30 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have aluminum housing drive axles on my 2013 FL class 8. I could have spec'd aluminum frame on the truck as well, and probably should have. I will on the next one. Meritor, for one, offers its RT-145 drive axles in aluminum housings.

Last edited by Cowpie; June 11th, 2016 at 5:41 AM.
Old June 12th, 2016, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

Received 508 Likes on 468 Posts

I didn't think a hd application would be strong enough...goes to show...never say never in this industry.