Notices
2014 - 2018 (GMT-K2) Section for all discussion related to the 2014 - 2018 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

2016 Silverado 1500 LTZ Brake Vacuum Pump Issues

Search this Thread

Old November 30th, 2018, 1:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 Silverado 1500 LTZ Brake Vacuum Pump Issues

I have issues with Braking at low speeds (like in touch and go traffic or parking) in my 2016 Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab. Everything works fine normally except in touch and go traffic or when parking (idle speed). I have checked EVERYTHING and all checks good except the brake system vacuum pump has only 9 Hg of vacuum at idle speed or low RPM's and everything I have read says it should have at least 27 Hg.

Has anyone else had issues?
Do you know if Chevrolet has any recalls or service repairs for this issue?
Old April 13th, 2019, 4:23 PM
CF Beginner

GM has vacuum pump issues . No recalls
Old April 13th, 2019, 10:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

if you pay to get this repaired....keep all receipts...if this turns into a recall, which may be the case, gm will reimburse you.
Old April 15th, 2019, 2:36 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by tech2
if you pay to get this repaired....keep all receipts...if this turns into a recall, which may be the case, gm will reimburse you.
Good advice. This issue should be a safety issue. GM needs to fix this problem.
Old August 3rd, 2019, 6:40 PM
CF Beginner

I got a letter in the mail from GM stating that they have extended the warranty on the vac pump.
Failure cause by GM is infrequent oil changes
Old January 6th, 2020, 9:44 AM
CF Beginner

Default Vacuum Pump Issues

Originally Posted by cyoun001
I have issues with Braking at low speeds (like in touch and go traffic or parking) in my 2016 Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab. Everything works fine normally except in touch and go traffic or when parking (idle speed). I have checked EVERYTHING and all checks good except the brake system vacuum pump has only 9 Hg of vacuum at idle speed or low RPM's and everything I have read says it should have at least 27 Hg.

Has anyone else had issues?
Do you know if Chevrolet has any recalls or service repairs for this issue?
I was experiencing the braking issue around the time I received the recall notice in September. Took it into the dealership back in October to have the braking system re-calibrated. A week ago I was backing out of the driveway and the truck wouldn't stop. It's now in the dealership with no ETA for repair since the vacuum pump is on back order all around the country. Wondering if you experienced a similar issue after you had the brakes re-calibrated.