Notices
2014 - 2018 (GMT-K2) Section for all discussion related to the 2014 - 2018 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

2016 Silverado Z71 Transmission Reprogram

Search this Thread

Old September 6th, 2018, 11:42 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 Silverado Z71 Transmission Reprogram

I have noticed that the transmission, although smooth, changes gears quickly. So much so that when i roll up on an incline it doesn't downshift quick enough and thus has a lag within the trans. Is there anything on the market that will allow me to reprogram to not change gears so quickly? Thanks!
Old September 6th, 2018, 3:56 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by sklippi
I have noticed that the transmission, although smooth, changes gears quickly. So much so that when i roll up on an incline it doesn't downshift quick enough and thus has a lag within the trans. Is there anything on the market that will allow me to reprogram to not change gears so quickly? Thanks!
It seems that it might be a problem with some automatics like yours if its an 8 speed anyhow:

Topic: 2016 Sierra 8-Spd Issue
Old September 6th, 2018, 9:12 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2017 AFM issues after issues right from the lot research before you do any purchases

I have been a loyal customer for years going on now, a huge mistake to trade in 04 Chevy 4.8 @331,000 on odometer oil change every 3,000 miles or best , to get talked into the 2017 Chevrolet Silverado Crew Cab LTZ71, was the biggest mistake ever , I only wish I had did my homework,prior, then told them to put rearend in my 04 for the 3 rd time, which I will admit 3 rearends, on 2004 .However 19 miles off the lot on 2017 in September 2017 only 3 left , The issues first of all under warranty, was from AFM which is new to me,at 13,500 miles which was documented at 14,000 back in December 3 month s after purchasing , cold front come threw Fla. just after found all schools shut down rds off limits till9 am . I had wanted to start truck for my wife with fob key, and this lifter tapping noise for the first time at 14,000.0 on truck ( made the tapping as if rods churning for free seconds) then would stop n run just fine, I later realize it’s doing this at few hrs of sitting up to 8 hrs no matter cold or warm climates, leaf springs in rear as well squeaking, so latter on whining coming from stearing also starts, after local Dealor has every excuse of what could be. Would be according to him . I am not going to go on n on anymore but I’m going to say this I am dissatisfied and also had to file complaints, go into arbitration, I can say that this was a huge mistake to let this get this far and let Dealorship to say we may be able to get you a vehicle I’ll get in touch it has been wishy washy the whole way threw. I do not want another truck from there, if only I could let the local s know but I’m not this way, but anyone looking to get 2017 it’s possible 18 s? It maybe that it’s true I do have a Lemon whatever the turnout, I’m pursuing on with my course and all in fareness and honesty. But if looking to buy don’t take my word for this, it’s possible as a local dealer whom does paper work, it’s possible you do have a lemon? It’s been a process from the get go,
Be safe GodBless ..
Old September 7th, 2018, 5:34 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the info...hope to get to the bottom of this.
Old February 8th, 2019, 7:59 PM
CF Beginner

Get the Range Technology AFM disabler. Had it on my 13 and now on my 16 LTZ, runs V8 all the time with very little mileage change. GM AFM (Activate Fuel Management) has always had skepticism. $199 and worry free driving. My 16 has the 8 speed transmission issues. But the truck is awesome inside and looks great outside.
Old February 9th, 2019, 5:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by sklippi
is the truck stock ie. does it have different size tires/rims? anything that changes vehicle speed sensor input...changes shift timing. the trans must know correct vehicle speed, engine load and throttle position as these are factors in shift schedules.