Notices
2014 - 2018 (GMT-K2) Section for all discussion related to the 2014 - 2018 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

2017 Silverado Radio acting crazy

Search this Thread

Old August 14th, 2021, 2:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2017 Silverado Radio acting crazy

Does anyone know if there is a recall that covers my 2017 Chevy Silverado radio problem?

I had it at the dealer two years ago and they fixed the same problem by swapping out the radio, but now it’s back The radio changes channels on its own and also the screen on the dashboard changes all the time. At times, trying to switch back to a radio station is impossible because the screen locks.

Help!!!!
The following 2 users liked this post by texasvet54:
hstinehour (September 18th, 2022), Phillip53 (September 4th, 2022)
Old December 12th, 2021, 4:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2017 Chevy Tahoe radio sucks.

Some days it works just fine. Most of the time lately, its been shyt tee. I'm ready to file a complaint against Chevy for such a crappie system. People pay thousands of dollars to purchase these vehicles and receive defective products. Is there a recall for this crappie radio?
The following 4 users liked this post by Bamavet58:
dfleisch1 (October 13th, 2022), Hseabold (August 15th, 2023), hstinehour (September 18th, 2022), Mistj1 (October 1st, 2023)
Old December 12th, 2021, 4:54 PM
CF Active Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like the touch screen is going bad, maybe randomly responding to phantom touches and now not responding at all. Do you have a screen protector on it? How hot does it get in your area? Ifyou can eventually get past that warning message, navigate to a screen that doesn't have the presents at the bottom such as the phone screen and see if it continues to change stations.
Old December 12th, 2021, 6:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think the touch screen is the problem. When you reset the radio system (remove battery cable). Everything works the way it should. But it does not last. Texasvet54 had his radio replaced at the dealer and the started again in the new radio. Chevy needs to recall this radio!!!!
The following users liked this post:
dfleisch1 (October 13th, 2022)
Old June 20th, 2022, 9:11 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Please tell me what's wrong with it

Originally Posted by texasvet54
Does anyone know if there is a recall that covers my 2017 Chevy Silverado radio problem?

I had it at the dealer two years ago and they fixed the same problem by swapping out the radio, but now it’s back The radio changes channels on its own and also the screen on the dashboard changes all the time. At times, trying to switch back to a radio station is impossible because the screen locks.

Help!!!!
The same thing is happening with mine and I've replaced the battery but it's back now as well as a whole middle vertical section of the screen going dead to touch. Also around about the same time it started happening the first time, my doors would lock and unlock themselves. Seems like like a computer system problem if changing the battery and replacing the radio itself isn't working. Chevy definitely needs to recall this defect.
The following users liked this post:
hstinehour (September 18th, 2022)
Old June 20th, 2022, 9:59 PM
CF Beginner

Default Happy ending

It’s been a number of months, but my story has a happy ending. I started taking my 2017 Z71 to a different dealer and they said that they were well aware of the problems with the screen. The service manager diagnosed it free of charge and determined that it was the radio screen and that the cost is typically $1000. He said “how about I fix it and charge you a $50 deductible? Does that sound fair?” I said “heck yeah” and they replaced the radio screen and it has been working like a champ ever since.

where do you think I’ll buy my next truck? 😃
The following 2 users liked this post by texasvet54:
Phillip53 (September 4th, 2022), Suec (March 25th, 2024)
Old September 4th, 2022, 6:42 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My radio has been acting up
did cleaning your screen help, if so what did you use to clean it?
I live in central Arkansas so it gets pretty warm here
i bought the truck new in 2017 and the problem has only happened in the last month or so, it is not constant but seems to be getting more frequent
Old September 4th, 2022, 6:45 AM
CF Beginner

Did the service manager give you a clue as to what he did besides change the screen ?
Do you care to say where the dealer is located or the dealership name?
thanks
Old September 4th, 2022, 6:51 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Phillip53
Did the service manager give you a clue as to what he did besides change the screen ?
Do you care to say where the dealer is located or the dealership name?
thanks
The paperwork shows that he replaced the screen only. That’s probably true because all of my programming remained intact. Are you in Texas?
Old September 4th, 2022, 7:29 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you
I am in Russellville Arkansas, I may go talk to my local dealership
who would think that replacing the screen would fix the problem ?
I hope that all goes well for you and your truck
i don’t off road or mis-treat my truck but do travel some very rough forest service roads and wondered if the bouncing around had anything to do with the problem

Quick Reply: 2017 Silverado Radio acting crazy