Notices
2014 - 2018 (GMT-K2) Section for all discussion related to the 2014 - 2018 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

8 speed transmission

Search this Thread

Old September 24th, 2019, 4:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 8 speed transmission

I recently purchased a 2016 Chevy Silverado LTZ Double Cab with an 8 speed transmission.

I love the truck but I do not love the way the transmission causes the truck to jump when coming to a stop and certain situations when it changes gears...

Is it just me or does anyone else have these issues? I have taken it to the dealership multiple times only to be told that these are "normal operating conditions" for the 8 speed transmission.

Shortly after purchasing I had to take it back to dealer to have the fluid changed because it was jumping badly at certain speeds. It seemed to fix that but it didn't fix any of the other issues that I am having. Am I just being overly concerned with it? I'm afraid that as soon as my warranty runs up that something major will happen with the trans and I will be stuck with a massive repair bill...

Any thoughts or advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!
Old March 9th, 2020, 3:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2018 transmission repair

Originally Posted by Dcon2016LTZ
I recently purchased a 2016 Chevy Silverado LTZ Double Cab with an 8 speed transmission.

I love the truck but I do not love the way the transmission causes the truck to jump when coming to a stop and certain situations when it changes gears...

Is it just me or does anyone else have these issues? I have taken it to the dealership multiple times only to be told that these are "normal operating conditions" for the 8 speed transmission.

Shortly after purchasing I had to take it back to dealer to have the fluid changed because it was jumping badly at certain speeds. It seemed to fix that but it didn't fix any of the other issues that I am having. Am I just being overly concerned with it? I'm afraid that as soon as my warranty runs up that something major will happen with the trans and I will be stuck with a massive repair bill...

Any thoughts or advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!
I have a similar issue with my 2018 Silverado, but I get the notorious Transmission Shudder at low speeds(under 30mph) when the vehicle’s cold. I brought mine in 3 times for this issue. The first time I brought it in, they said it was normal. The second time I brought it in they did a transmission fluid Flush and change. The dealer said that would fix the issue and I would notice a big difference in a few days. That did not occur, the problem was the same and on occasions even worse. Finally, I decided to go to a different dealership and they put their best guy on the job. He called General Motors and they decided to replace the torque converter. I just heard from the dealer and they ordered the part that should be in tomorrow. I should have it back sometime Wednesday. I’ll let you know if that fix the issue. My biggest advice is be persistent and don’t let them get off by saying it’s normal.
The following users liked this post:
Ustraveler (April 3rd, 2021)
Old April 3rd, 2021, 7:28 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2018 Silverado 8 speed

I have/had he same issue. Had the transmission fluid exchanged out with new filter. That took care of the shutters and stutters. However, from time to time i will get a hard thump down shift. Also it will have many lesser shifts that clunk to varying almost always once or twice thru each shifting cycle.
Old April 14th, 2021, 6:59 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2019 8 speed that jumps into gear when shifting from reverse into drive. I was told the same thing...normal for an 8 speed.
Old May 5th, 2021, 8:45 AM
CF Beginner

the problem is with the tcu software , its designed to meet EPA mpg mandates minimize slip for better fuel efficiency , what you need to do is take to a tuner and have him remove the tcc function for gears 1-5 , and zero out the slip tables on the lock up for 6-8th gear, might have to disable it for v4 mode too