Notices
2014 - 2018 (GMT-K2) Section for all discussion related to the 2014 - 2018 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

AC isn't cold enough after DIY recharge

Search this Thread

Old June 2nd, 2024, 10:22 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC isn't cold enough after DIY recharge

Hello -

Recently noticed the air conditioning on my 2016 Silverado was blowing cool, but not cold air on warmer days. As a start, I got the R134A (this is what was under the hood on the sticker) AC Pro kit at Auto Zone, and charged it up to about 27-28 PSI on the low pressure line. AC is definitely blowing cooler now, but I did notice that the passenger side vents spat out a few icicles twice shortly after re-charging. I continued to let the vehicle idle and had AC blasting another 5-10 mins, and it didn't happen again. Any thoughts here?

This could also be absolutely nothing or something completely unrelated, but I did notice a small amount of liquid underneath the vehicle towards the passenger side of the front of vehicle. I sat under there for minutes on end while truck was running and saw nothing dripping or leaking at all, and the liquid smelt like regular water / basically no smell.
Old June 2nd, 2024, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

Can charging isn't accurate. Proper charge is done by weight not pressure.
If the evaporator is flooded from an overcharge ice can form. The low psi switch should shut the system off b4 that happens.
If the system runs ok... you're fine. If you get performance problems in the future post the symptoms and we can go through it
The system will remove moisture from the air and it will condense and drip out of the evaporator drain tube on the ground under the vehicle. This is normal.

Last edited by tech2; June 2nd, 2024 at 11:50 AM.
Old June 3rd, 2024, 8:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by camiarrobino
AC Pro kit at Auto Zone, and charged it up to about 27-28 PSI on the low pressure line. AC is definitely blowing cooler now, but I did notice that the passenger side vents spat out a few icicles twice shortly after re-charging. I continued to let the vehicle idle and had AC blasting another 5-10 mins, and it didn't happen again. Any thoughts here?
IMO you likely had slow loss of refrigerant over years time and didn't need to use AC Pro which has stop leak ("crud") added to the refrigerant. It would have been better to just use R134a alone. For example, you can get a can of R134a at Walmart for $10 along with this charging hose for $20.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tec...12-oz/10316793
https://www.walmart.com/ip/EZ-Chill-...ose/3306546159

Also, don't go by what AC Pro tells you is "filled." It could be that 27-28 psi on the suction was too much charge - the pressure depends on the ambient temperature and relative humidity. The icicles you saw are probably indicative of an overcharge.

As mentioned above the real way to get the charge right is to evacuate and then recharge by mass.