Notices
2014 - 2018 (GMT-K2) Section for all discussion related to the 2014 - 2018 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Check engine light after catback exhaust install

Search this Thread

Old February 19th, 2021, 11:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check engine light after catback exhaust install

I semi recently installed a magna flow catback exhaust. I am now getting P0420 and P0430 cat efficiency codes. I’m no expert but last I ever knew you wouldn’t have to tune for a catback due to it being past all the o2 sensors. Any explanations?
Old February 21st, 2021, 12:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 269 Likes on 234 Posts

I don’t know specifics of magna flows, but if it’s creating enough back pressure, it could be affecting converter efficiency.

What do you mean by “semi recently”? It could be there’s another problem causing the codes and the magna flow is unrelated.
Old February 21st, 2021, 4:02 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Gumby22
I don’t know specifics of magna flows, but if it’s creating enough back pressure, it could be affecting converter efficiency.

What do you mean by “semi recently”? It could be there’s another problem causing the codes and the magna flow is unrelated.

In response to the first part, Magnaflows are straight through mufflers, so I would think it would relieve the back pressure, but I’m not an expert so I could be wrong

When I say semi recently, it was a few thousand miles ago. The light came on almost immediately after install and my first thought was that there was more back pressure because magnas have a “break in” period where the I guess it would be called glasspacking is clogging it up and needs to be blown out. I ignored the light and cleared the codes. Bit, I’ve gone through that break in period, so if that’s the case it should have gone off after everything was blown out. I’ve gotten to where I just erase the codes when the light comes on. The only reason I don’t believe it is something else is that the codes are for both cats with sensors on them and of course the timing of when the light came on for the first time.
Old February 21st, 2021, 6:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 508 Likes on 468 Posts

what year and engine?
Old February 21st, 2021, 7:39 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
what year and engine?
It is a 2014 5.3
Old February 21st, 2021, 8:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 269 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Ely
In response to the first part, Magnaflows are straight through mufflers, so I would think it would relieve the back pressure, but I’m not an expert so I could be wrong

When I say semi recently, it was a few thousand miles ago. The light came on almost immediately after install and my first thought was that there was more back pressure because magnas have a “break in” period where the I guess it would be called glasspacking is clogging it up and needs to be blown out. I ignored the light and cleared the codes. Bit, I’ve gone through that break in period, so if that’s the case it should have gone off after everything was blown out. I’ve gotten to where I just erase the codes when the light comes on. The only reason I don’t believe it is something else is that the codes are for both cats with sensors on them and of course the timing of when the light came on for the first time.
During the install, did you have to do anything that required dropping the front Y pipe with the converters? I understand you only changed the exhaust downstream of the sensors, but an exhaust leak upstream of the sensors can skew the readings.
Old February 21st, 2021, 9:40 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Gumby22
During the install, did you have to do anything that required dropping the front Y pipe with the converters? I understand you only changed the exhaust downstream of the sensors, but an exhaust leak upstream of the sensors can skew the readings.

The shop who did it says all they did was cut behind the 3rd cat(which doesn’t have any sensors) and install the magna flow system. As far as upstream from the 3rd cat nothing has been touched other than me doing a brief check on the o2 sensors to make sure they weren’t the problem.