Notices
2014 - 2018 (GMT-K2) Section for all discussion related to the 2014 - 2018 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Front tires wearing badly on outside

Search this Thread

Old August 1st, 2018, 3:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front tires wearing badly on outside

I took my truck (Silverado 3500 DRW) in today to have the tires rotated and balanced. Both front tires were worn badly on the outside. The technician said that because I pull a 38ft 5th wheel trailer, the front tires are prone to do that. But we never had a problem with 2 previous trucks wearing the front tires abnormally. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Seems kind of funny to me. I am wondering if it is an alignment problem instead.

Old August 1st, 2018, 5:02 PM
CF Monarch

Received 363 Likes on 344 Posts

I would have the alignment checked before I did anything else.
Old August 1st, 2018, 7:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 512 Likes on 472 Posts

if the tires have toe wear..its possible...post a pic of the tire wear.

you have independent front suspension....whenever the ride height changes...the toe setting can change. So if the load on the truck is heavy enough to change the ride height...its possible but for a 3500 it would take a lot of cargo weight. What is the tonque weight? I would check the fender heights before and after connecting your trailer...is there much change?

Its also possible the toe setting is just set wrong...have the alignment checked as old chevy posted. Make sure the truck is loaded as it would be for the majority of its driving.