Notices
2014 - 2018 (GMT-K2) Section for all discussion related to the 2014 - 2018 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Fuel rail pressure sensor out after cam swap

Search this Thread

Old January 27th, 2024, 7:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel rail pressure sensor out after cam swap

Recently did a dod delete/ tsp chopcabra cam swap on a 2018 Silverado L83. It’s been about 5 days and the fuel rail pressure sensor code came up and reduced power to engine, currently ordered one but could this have just been a coincidence? Or is there something that could’ve have caused this as in tune, possibly timing off, etc or this is a common thing to happen

Last edited by georgecampa23; January 27th, 2024 at 7:38 PM.
Old January 27th, 2024, 8:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 677 Likes on 613 Posts

what was the code? Did you measure your fuel pressure?
Old January 27th, 2024, 11:15 PM
CF Beginner

I actually don’t remember the code I stay next to Orileys checked it there and he showed me the code and what it was related to so I already knew what it was so I ordered it going to take off the manifold tomorrow check evething connected good I didn’t do the work for the cam and no I have not checked the fuel pressure, it got wideband street tuned so he probably upped the ratio and much as he could would that probably be a root of the problem?
Old January 27th, 2024, 11:19 PM
CF Beginner

I also don’t have a stall converter yet the cam is meant for “stock converter” but it’s idling like it needs a stall I believe but it would drive good just when it idling with the air off it would jump up and down so I’m going to also upgrade to a 2800-3000 stall from circle D but could the rough idling may have some to do with it ?
Old January 28th, 2024, 12:20 AM
Super Moderator

Received 677 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by georgecampa23
it got wideband street tuned so he probably upped the ratio
So all bets are off then. You need to talk to your "tuner"
Old January 30th, 2024, 2:41 AM
CF Beginner

Sorry I’m late but I changed the sensor out went back out so I have a feeling it’s not going out but telling me something about the pressure ? And I talked to the guy he said it could be my HPFP cause he said the tuned it to Idle 13.9-15.5 and full throttle 12.8 and also I seen when you take the fuel lines off from the HPFP they are a “1 time” use so maybe have a small problem there triggering the sensor ? I didn’t think much of it when having the cam swap since it wasn’t in no cam swap videos but when I see videos about the HPFP says change the lines cause once taken off they aren’t good ? Idk any other suggestions he said i I can come back and run some test tho but he’s a couple towns away so I would want to try and see if could atleast pinpoint what triggers the fuel pressure rail system and see if I can give it a go.

and if it’s from a lack of pressure or over pressured is that something you can specifically control fuel pressure in HPtuners
Old January 30th, 2024, 2:45 AM
CF Beginner

And what would happen if I unplug the sensor to not cause it to limp? Or will it always limp since it’s not connected
Old January 30th, 2024, 2:57 AM
CF Beginner

My gas mileage is bad too even before the cam just headers I’d get average of like 9 do got a lil heavy foot lil above average but it was a whole different tune from Houston idk I’ve felt like I’ve always have a fuel problem tho I guess maybe with the more demand on fuel the HPFP isn’t keeping up ? Id remember id have like 2 times out of no wheee my truck almost stall but that’s it it starts up fine instantly reset the code but when code is on does take a lil like 1/4 of a second maybe and code usually takes around 30 mins to pop up so that leads me to believe its not out like i said previously just some going one that causes it to go into limp
Old June 25th, 2024, 2:37 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by georgecampa23
My gas mileage is bad too even before the cam just headers I’d get average of like 9 do got a lil heavy foot lil above average but it was a whole different tune from Houston idk I’ve felt like I’ve always have a fuel problem tho I guess maybe with the more demand on fuel the HPFP isn’t keeping up ? Id remember id have like 2 times out of no wheee my truck almost stall but that’s it it starts up fine instantly reset the code but when code is on does take a lil like 1/4 of a second maybe and code usually takes around 30 mins to pop up so that leads me to believe its not out like i said previously just some going one that causes it to go into limp
Im have the same issue did you get it figured out?
Old August 6th, 2024, 12:32 AM
CF Beginner

Default I am working on a 2015 5.3 Silverado

I am working on a 2015 5.3 Silverado. I have the codes p306 p0172 p0175. I already checked the coils, the cables, the spark plugs and the compression. I think the problem is in the high pressure pump, the pressure must be getting bad to the injector of cylinder 6 and that is why. it fails me in that cylinder