Notices
2014 - 2018 (GMT-K2) Section for all discussion related to the 2014 - 2018 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Looking for a Duramax, need help decoding VIN

Search this Thread

Old June 10th, 2021, 8:59 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a Duramax, need help decoding VIN

Hey guys, new to the forum! Long story short, used to be a hard core GM guy, been driving fords for 8 years. The wife and I have decided to sell our house, buy a big 3500 and a 5th wheel camper and go see the country. Considering a Ram, but honestly trying to find a Silverado. Trying to use this vin decoder ( https://chevroletforum.com/forum/vin...4K0C84FF500438 ) but could use a hand decoding these numbers to make sure I am getting one that can pull hard. It looks like on most categories it gives a "What this truck can do number" then behind it gives you the min/max or all available options. Is this correct? I am going to have to do some out of town shopping and am trying to narrow down my search to only vehicles that only fit the bill. Ram makes this super easy with the vin lookup on their website. Any insight would be great! Thanks a bunch guys!
Old June 12th, 2021, 1:02 AM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

there is a vin decoder on this site under tools.
great idea...i want to do this also but may rent out my house instead of selling. people I know did this....property values soared the the 5 years they were rving and when they sold the rv...couldn't get back into the housing market.

both ram and chev tow well. the chev independent front suspension rides nicer....the ram coil and link front suspension design can handle more weight. Cummins is easy to work on...duramax very tight spaces....ford cab forward design is horrible for techs. exhaust aftertreatment systems for all brands are expensive to fix off warranty.