Notices
2014 - 2018 (GMT-K2) Section for all discussion related to the 2014 - 2018 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Mystery Squeal on 2014 Silverado 1500

Search this Thread

Old March 8th, 2019, 10:59 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mystery Squeal on 2014 Silverado 1500

I recently received a hand-me-down truck at work. It has 213,000 miles on it, but is in very good shape (says the guy who is asking about a mystery squeak). When I first heard the sound, I thought it was the indicators on the breaks, but after listening to it more, it did not necessarily sound like the indicators. I do hear the sound when applying the brakes, but I also hear it when turning right. No sound when I turn left though. I can't describe it well enough, but it does not seem as high pitched as indicators normally do. Also, it does not sound like a wheel bearing or grinding of metal on metal. I am going to pull the tires off this weekend and poke around to see what the brakes look like and see if there are any obstructions immediately evident. If anybody has any ideas of possible culprits, I would certainly appreciate the insight.

Thanks.
Old March 8th, 2019, 4:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

your on the right track...pads wear indicators will scrape when applied and turning. it also could be a brake backing plate/water shield to close to the rotor
Old March 11th, 2019, 5:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After taking the wheels off and inspecting the brakes, it was evident that the inside pad on the front driver's side was toast. I went ahead and replaced all the break pads and that problem is solved. I am so glad that changing brakes is not a hassle. Thanks for the response.