Notices
2014 - 2018 (GMT-K2) Section for all discussion related to the 2014 - 2018 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Payload issue?....

Search this Thread

Old June 12th, 2019, 7:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Payload issue?....

So im hoping i didnt fall into a hype buy here....we just bought a 5th wheel and i have a 2015 silverado z71. To assist with the towing i had installed an andersen 5th wheel along with air lift 5000 air bag suspension kit. When i picked the camper up i drove 4 hours home, and it rode wonderful! So all i hear is its fully capable of towing with no issues until someone mentioned something about payload capacity...so the payload capacity is over the max of the truck by a couple hundred pounds.....do the air bag suspension help any at all!?!?!! How can dealers say 5th wheel is 1/2 towable yet none are because of payload requirements put them over. Rear end is 3.42 rancho shocks are getting replaced but with the airbag suspension the need for a beefer strut seems like a waste of money.
Old June 15th, 2019, 8:17 AM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Is this a 1500 or 2500? Most 1500's (regardless of make) do not have the payload rating to tow a 5th wheel camper. There are some small 5th wheel campers that can be towed by a light duty truck, but not many.

The airbag lift won't increase payload capacity - it just helps level out the suspension.

And remember, dealers will often say anything to make a sale.
Old June 15th, 2019, 2:44 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

what are the numbers youre looking at
GVW, GVWR, GVCW and whats your trailer weight?
the airbags can increase the ride comfort. but legally cant increase the weight rating unless its been certified. i would of never thought of putting a 5th wheel in a ½ ton and even on a ¾ ton unless it was a heavier ¾ ton. main reason would be gear ratio, spring ratings and axle ratings. but non the less it would be nice to see what your numbers are