Notices
2014 - 2018 (GMT-K2) Section for all discussion related to the 2014 - 2018 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Rear End Clunking Noise.

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2016, 2:57 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear End Clunking Noise.

Hello,

I have been experiencing a rear end noise (Clunk) for the last couple of weeks. I have looked at other forums to try and diagnose the issue - so far i am pretty convinced that the noise is coming from my leaf springs. I checked the shackles that hold the leafs to the axle - the shackles were out of torque spec - i adjusted them to the proper spec - and the noise still remained. I installed leaf spring clamps on both sides to attempt to eliminate the noise, the noise cleared for a couple of days and then returned. Does anyone know what is causing the leaf springs to make this noise? The vehicle only has 37K miles on it - spring pads are there and are not damaged - nothing looks bent or damaged - just creating a odd clunk noise while turning on inclines or declines or hitting bumps while turning.

Hunter
Old May 21st, 2017, 1:53 AM
CF Beginner

I had the same issue with my vehicle as well. There is a NHTSA complaint and a TSB issued from Chevrolet to re-torque the the joints of the rear leaf spring assembly to correct it. My dealership just did this on my truck along with greasing the leaf spring area and so far it appears to have fixed the issue.

TSB reference# SB-09-03-09-001D

Hope this helps
Old June 24th, 2017, 9:12 AM
CF Beginner

Have the same problem with my 2015 Z71 Silverado. I tried having the TSB done by the local dealer, but the clunk is still there. It's different now, so I suspect that the problem is in that area anyway.