Notices
2014 - 2018 (GMT-K2) Section for all discussion related to the 2014 - 2018 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Remote start

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2016, 6:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote start

I have a 2016 Silverado 1500. I want to get a remote start through the dealer however when i called to find out about it they told me they dont make it for the vehicle. Has anyone added one to a 2016? Thanks
Old September 18th, 2016, 5:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Post Production Remote Start

When I recently ordered a 2017 Silverado, remote start was an option. On a modern vehicle, adding after the fact would be complicated and the dealer likely does not want to be involved with the liability.

I have never understood the reason for remote start other than to startle anyone standing nearby. I certainly would never start and idle a cold engine (lowest engine oil flow it will ever see) and the short interior warmup period in the cab would make it a non-issue. I much prefer to using a block heater to protect the engine in cold weather.
Old September 18th, 2016, 9:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

not sure what the issue is with your vehicle.

for the most part, adding a factory remote start for a remote start ready vehicle is as easy as it gets...reprogramming only.

adding to most non ready vehicle just involves install a hood pin latch that provides a hood open input to the bcm, changing a module, then programming.

way better than aftermarket imo
-its works seamlessly with the factory theft deterrent
-no cutting into factory wiring harnesses or stuffing a module under the dash
- since its interfaced with the factory modules, the system will disable if any dtc are present...to self preserve itself.

with fully synthetic oils there is no issue with starting and idling a cold engine. yes heaters are great and yes, the only reason in my mind for remote start is for driver comfort.

Last edited by tech2; September 18th, 2016 at 9:44 PM.
Old October 22nd, 2016, 9:14 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Agree....I like my remote start because the heater is ready when I start out. Never had a problem with it and it times out and shuts off if you wait too long to turn on the ignition. 2014 GMC Sierra SLT diesel 3500HD. Can be started from an Iphone using the MyGMC app.

Last edited by meternerd; October 22nd, 2016 at 9:16 PM.