Notices
2014 - 2018 (GMT-K2) Section for all discussion related to the 2014 - 2018 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Transmission slips into neutral

Search this Thread

Old January 18th, 2024, 5:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Transmission slips into neutral

My transmission slipped into neutral. Only way I was able to get it to re-engage was to turn the truck off and re crank it. Once putting it in drive, I was able to move roughly 5 feet then it would go back to neutral again. Did this a few times letting it sit for a minute or 2 with the truck off, and finally one time it stayed in gear and I was able to get the truck home. Some context for the situation. Truck is not a daily driver, we have had abnormally cold temps here and a good bit of snow and ice for the area so I've been driving the truck all week mostly in 4 hi. Have had no issues with slipping gears or hard shifts and once I got back moving I started out in 2 wheel drive, switched to 4 hi again once I started sliding on the ice. Still no issue and still couldn't feel anything abnormal with gear shifts. 2015 Silverado 1500 with 126k miles. Dropped the pan and changed trans fluid and filter at 90k miles. Check the fluid today and its good. There are no abnormal lights on the dash either. I'm at a complete loss. It seems like more of an electrical or sensor problem but Idk where to start.
Old January 18th, 2024, 6:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 659 Likes on 598 Posts

if the shifter is cable operated, then make sure that drive is selected on the transmission itself. (be careful. take safety precautions). If it is, then the transmission is faulty and needs to go to a shop.
Old January 19th, 2024, 1:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
if the shifter is cable operated, then make sure that drive is selected on the transmission itself. (be careful. take safety precautions). If it is, then the transmission is faulty and needs to go to a shop.
So, I took it out again today because I wanted to see if I could replicate the problem and it drove completely fine. No slips or hard shifts. I'm thinking that maybe some snow/ice had built up around an electrical sensor or wire harness somewhere and yesterday when it got above freezing, it started melting off and caused an issue.