Notices
2014 - 2018 (GMT-K2) Section for all discussion related to the 2014 - 2018 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Worried wife, gas smell, no leaks

Search this Thread

Old June 18th, 2024, 2:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worried wife, gas smell, no leaks

I could only think of posting here for possibly some advice. I am an anxious wife and so sick of vehicles. A little background first. We just got our 2014 Chevy Silverado inspected after fixing a 1000 dollars worth of repairs. They didn't tell us anything else was wrong. There has been a smell of gas coming from the passenger side.The smell doesn't fill the actual truck but I can smell it through the window when my husband is driving. It especially smells stronger after we have been driving for awhile and after he fills up on gas. I also get a wif of gas even if I just walk by the passenger side after its been parked for awhile. I should mention it's currently summer where I live and been in the 80's. There is no leaks but my husband looked at the fuel neck and noticed its quite rusty and what looks like gas splatters underneath on the wheel well.

Needless to say he is not happy and does not want to take it back to the garage especially when the mechanic didn't notice any other issues. After having to put a new transmission into it last year and the other repairs last month, it's been costly. This whole situation worries me and my anxiety is through the roof that it is something serious and of course he's still driving it. He thinks I'm crazy because at times I can smell gas when he can't. He thinks it's the fuel neck causing the smell but could that really be the only issue?

Thanks in advance for any comments. I know little to none about cars but I am a concerned wife and mother that just wants us all to be safe.
Old June 18th, 2024, 4:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 224 Likes on 198 Posts

Good to be worried as gas is extremely flammable!! Even if the neck is the source, the leak needs to be fixed ASAP. Also check the top of the tank where the fuel pump is located.
Old June 18th, 2024, 4:28 PM
CF Active Member

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

I am betting it is something up with the EVAP system. That is the evaporative emissions control system, and there are several components under the truck that tie into the gas fill tube for the gas tank, and are supposed to control venting of gas vapors, and recirculation of those vapors back to the engine for burning. That is the only system on the truck that comes to my mind that might allow you to smell fuel, aside from an actual gas leak, and you would see gasoline under the vehicle if that were going on.

My 2006 Silverado had the check engine light lit for a couple of failed components in that EVAP system, which only cost $40-50 to replace (myself). I would think if your truck had an issue, that the check engine light would be lit. In my case, the codes told me which components were bad.
Old June 18th, 2024, 5:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jfmorris
I am betting it is something up with the EVAP system. That is the evaporative emissions control system, and there are several components under the truck that tie into the gas fill tube for the gas tank, and are supposed to control venting of gas vapors, and recirculation of those vapors back to the engine for burning. That is the only system on the truck that comes to my mind that might allow you to smell fuel, aside from an actual gas leak, and you would see gasoline under the vehicle if that were going on.

My 2006 Silverado had the check engine light lit for a couple of failed components in that EVAP system, which only cost $40-50 to replace (myself). I would think if your truck had an issue, that the check engine light would be lit. In my case, the codes told me which components were bad.

Yeah, there is no check engine light on, which I kind of wish it was so we could actually get to the root of the issue.
Old June 18th, 2024, 5:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 677 Likes on 613 Posts

a smoke tester can be used to find leaks in the EVAP system.
Old June 24th, 2024, 7:04 AM
CF Beginner

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SlothMama
Yeah, there is no check engine light on, which I kind of wish it was so we could actually get to the root of the issue.
If the filler neck is rusty enough to cause a leak to atmosphere you should get the same DTC as you do for a loose gas cap - P0457. Also, since you can smell gas while you're driving down the road from the other side of the truck it seems like the filler neck isn't the problem.

The vapor canister is on the driver's side just in front of the fuel tank.
See

I agree that the first thing to check is the evaporative emissions system. The first thing I would check is the vacuum line going from the vapor canister to the engine compartment for damage, etc.