Notices
2019+ Silverado (GMT-T1) Section for all discussion related to the 2019+ Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra.

2023 6.2L V-8 Troubles - Am I alone?

Search this Thread

Old January 25th, 2024, 10:36 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2023 Chevy RST

2023 Chevy RST crap!! Engine had to be replaced last week at 30,000 miles brand new only owner! Said bearings and all sorts of stuff wrong! Then now 2 days later from getting back! Dead on side of road said needs belts alternator and something else! GM no help wants to give only 29,000 miles on “new” engine and $500 worth of Gm points” in case of future repair” ! I told them keep the dang points if $70,000 truck can’t last 30,000 miles there is a problem! I reported to better business bureau now going thru Georgia attorney general! Lemon law is 24,000 miles screwed over by GM!
Old January 26th, 2024, 11:28 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was just wondering if everyone that has had this issue has been running the recommended octane fuel 91 and above? This is my first Chevy and this was the only reason I didn't purchase the 6.2L even through I wanted it bad coming from an F150 with a 5.0L. I really wanted a Trail Boss with a 6.2L but wanted some features not available on the Trail Boss so I ended up getting an LTZ model with all the features I wanted and then installing the Trail Boss lift. I am close to 20K miles on my 2022 LTZ 5.3.L with no issues so far fingers crossed. Hopefully the 6.2L issue works out for people that are having these terrible problems. A full refund option should be an option.

Old January 26th, 2024, 5:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 673 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by Trip
I was just wondering if everyone that has had this issue has been running the recommended octane fuel 91 and above?
All that means is that it's perfectly fine to use 87. You just lose a few horsepower and tiny bit of fuel economy.
Old January 27th, 2024, 11:29 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry, I was looking for more of a YES or NO answer or info on what fuel you use. Don't want to start a conversation on what the owners manual instructions mean.

If your engine died were you using the correct octane? YES or NO

Using the recommended octane part of the time?

Always used the recommended octane?

Never used the recommended octane?

It could be good information for others. I am as pissed as anyone out there that this sort of thing is happening. I would do anything I could to try and help all these unfortunate people that have had this issue. It just is a really unfortunate situation because you know it is just going to be a battle to try and get any help. In some cases these vehicles could have almost bankrupt these families or individuals to get something like this and then to just have it be gone, done, not usable and there they are just sitting there! While the dealers and GM just sit there with food on the table and normal lives.
Old January 27th, 2024, 5:39 PM
Super Moderator

The failures have absolutely nothing to do with gasoline octane rating.
Old March 6th, 2024, 11:16 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2022 Chevrolet Silverado

Originally Posted by kevin spahr
Does everyone in this thread that has had an engine failure trucks VIN number start with a 3? Just curious.
Yes, our Chevy Silverado VIN begins with "3." The engine seized and slipped into neutral while our 17-year-old was driving it at night on a back, unlit road. She was able to pull over, restart it and drive it to our street where the same thing happened. It would not re-start so we had it towed to a Chevy service department and it needs a new engine. The engine is on backorder indefinitely, but the service department was able to buy an engine from another dealer. It has been in the shop for three weeks. They are waiting on other parts to replace the engine. I have been in touch with Chevrolet customer service (800-222-1020) several times and they were polite and professional but unhelpful. I emailed the Chevy exec group and either mary.barra@gm.com or mary.t.barra@gm.com triggered a response within hours. (I am a lawyer and signed the email "Esq." I also wrote that my husband and I are concerned that the same thing will happen with a replacement engine and they will be held liable to the fullest extent of the law if my daughter or anyone in the car is injured as a result of this defect.) I suggest you email Ms. Barra with details of the problems you are having. GM claims they will provide an enhanced/extended warranty for the replacement.

Additionally, you should look up the lemon law in your state. In my state of Maryland, I just typed in "Maryland lemon law" and I found the MD attorney general page, which provided a summary of the law and sample letters to use. You do not need to be or hire a lawyer for this. For example, in my state, it is possible to get a replacement vehicle or refund if the vehicle is under two years old and under 18,000 miles (ours is both) and it has been in the shop for 30 cumulative days (our is on day 23) and GM has not been able to fix it in "reasonable" amount of time.

Just trying to offer some solutions. I feel your frustration.
Old March 6th, 2024, 11:18 AM
CF Beginner

Oh, we also use the appropriate level octane fuel.
Old March 7th, 2024, 12:51 AM
CF Beginner

This is my first GM, so far no problems but hearing all this from you all has me worried. Has GM historically been this unreliable?
Old March 7th, 2024, 8:44 PM
Super Moderator

Since they went bankrupt, they cut every corner possible.
Old March 21st, 2024, 11:39 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2023 Tahoe

Originally Posted by rickwjenn
My 2023 Silverado LTZ w/ 6.2L V8 had a valve train component failure at 1089 miles. The truck was built 1/7/23 and I took delivery on 3/3/23.

The dealer found metal shavings in the oil pan and GM required a new engine (vs. dealer-rebuild).

It has taken 3 months so far to have the replacement engine escalated and sent to Dealer.

I know there were a rash of 6.2L problems in 2021 to mid-2022 when the lifters were redesigned and I was hoping they were behind us...

Anyone else hearing of 6.2L engine failures in the 2023 Silverado?
yes I have a 2023 Tahoe. I bought January last year and I believe there’s sand in the engine plant.

I am super not happy it’s very frustrating and sad, but they seem to be doing the right thing by replacing the motors at no cost. It Hass to be very expensive.

Quick Reply: 2023 6.2L V-8 Troubles - Am I alone?