Notices
2019+ Silverado (GMT-T1) Section for all discussion related to the 2019+ Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra.

2023 6.2L V-8 Troubles - Am I alone?

Search this Thread

Old August 13th, 2023, 9:18 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2023 6.2L V-8 Troubles - Am I alone?

My 2023 Silverado LTZ w/ 6.2L V8 had a valve train component failure at 1089 miles. The truck was built 1/7/23 and I took delivery on 3/3/23.

The dealer found metal shavings in the oil pan and GM required a new engine (vs. dealer-rebuild).

It has taken 3 months so far to have the replacement engine escalated and sent to Dealer.

I know there were a rash of 6.2L problems in 2021 to mid-2022 when the lifters were redesigned and I was hoping they were behind us...

Anyone else hearing of 6.2L engine failures in the 2023 Silverado?

Last edited by rickwjenn; August 13th, 2023 at 1:51 PM.
Old August 13th, 2023, 4:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 624 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by rickwjenn
Oh yes. Many people. That's why GM is being sued. Problem is far from over.
https://chevroletforum.com/forum/sil...e2/#post493473
Old December 18th, 2023, 3:35 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2023 6.2 Suburban Engine Failure

My 2023 Silverado LTZ w/ 6.2L V8 had a valve train component failure at 1089 miles. The truck was built 1/7/23 and I took delivery on 3/3/23.

The dealer found metal shavings in the oil pan and GM required a new engine (vs. dealer-rebuild).

It has taken 3 months so far to have the replacement engine escalated and sent to Dealer.

I know there were a rash of 6.2L problems in 2021 to mid-2022 when the lifters were redesigned and I was hoping they were behind us...

I was on a 3 hr return trip home , left lane , hwy speed and vehicle went dark , lost everything , almost ran over by semi's until I could get off interstate. Vehicle kept lighting back up and off back and forth , wouldn't start , never got an engine warning . No leaks , no noise . Dealership informed me today they are replacing engine with new one from GM . WTF , 6th Suburban I've owned , over a million miles , never been laid down with one til now . Last one was 2019 with 6.2 best burb I've had . Do they usually get this right , or should I be concerned same thing could happen ? This put me in a very dangerous position and the outcome could have been catastrophic.
Old December 18th, 2023, 7:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 624 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenny W
Do they usually get this right
they haven't gotten it right in 15 years. I wouldn't hold my breath.
Old January 17th, 2024, 7:11 PM
CF Beginner

Default Currently experiencing problems

I’m currently experiencing sudden jerking when accelerating in my 2023 Silverado high Country 6.3L and have it at a dealership as of yesterday as I only have 1418 miles on it. To date, dealership states they test drove vehicle and confirms the issue and have reported it to GM as they are not sure what to do to address the issue. I was told they are awaiting on response from GM on how they should fix the problem. I own vehicle outright and have purchased extra warranty coverages. I asked the dealer if they can arrange a rental vehicle while they try to fix problem but have not heard anything. Winner/Sierra Dealership in Colfax, California is where it’s at.

Old January 18th, 2024, 4:58 AM
CF Beginner

Does everyone in this thread that has had an engine failure trucks VIN number start with a 3? Just curious.
Old January 19th, 2024, 11:15 PM
CF Beginner

Default Engine Failure 2023 High Country 6.2

Originally Posted by Kenny W
I was on a 3 hr return trip home , left lane , hwy speed and vehicle went dark , lost everything , almost ran over by semi's until I could get off interstate. Vehicle kept lighting back up and off back and forth , wouldn't start , never got an engine warning . No leaks , no noise . Dealership informed me today they are replacing engine with new one from GM . WTF , 6th Suburban I've owned , over a million miles , never been laid down with one til now . Last one was 2019 with 6.2 best burb I've had . Do they usually get this right , or should I be concerned same thing could happen ? This put me in a very dangerous position and the outcome could have been catastrophic.

I had the exact same thing happen on I-55 South right before the bridge to Memphis last Sunday. Coasted to a stop at the entrance of a weigh station - it was scary and could have been bad. West Memphis is just one giant truck stop.

Dealer received the truck this Wednesday and will have a loaner truck on Monday. They called today and said it’s not electrical - it’s a catastrophic engine failure and they will have to get in the engine and report to chevrolet the findings. Hopefully I get more info this coming week.

Old January 20th, 2024, 7:05 AM
CF Beginner

My 2023 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 High Country VIN begins with number “3” so yes it does
Old January 20th, 2024, 7:15 AM
CF Beginner

I have learned that my 2023 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 High Country 6.2L that started shake or jerk whenever I accelerate at any time at 1419 miles on it finally sent it to the dealership. After 3 to 4 days, I was told dealership wasn’t able to identify the problem but acknowledged that it was a problem when driving it but couldn’t pinpoint it. They contacted GM and they both diagnosed the truck by collecting data driving it around then analyzed it and also noticed issue was progressing during evaluation. They concluded that it was a transmission issue and dealership is waiting on how GM wants to handle it. I haven’t heard anything yet but they will end up repairing or replacing it.
Old January 20th, 2024, 7:36 AM
CF Beginner

Default 3 Vin

Originally Posted by kevin spahr
Does everyone in this thread that has had an engine failure trucks VIN number start with a 3? Just curious.
Mine does not -

Quick Reply: 2023 6.2L V-8 Troubles - Am I alone?