Notices
2019+ Silverado (GMT-T1) Section for all discussion related to the 2019+ Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra.

Help with 2024 HD spec - 18" or 20" wheels/tires?

Search this Thread

Old March 17th, 2023, 3:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with 2024 HD spec - 18" or 20" wheels/tires?

First of all I'm new to the forum, and grateful for the wealth of information and advice here. I'm not new to Chevy/GMC trucks of which I have had many half tons but never have had a 2500 HD.

Looking at a new 2024 with 6.6 Duramax. I'm stuck trying to choose between the standard 18" wheels and all terrain tires that come on the 2500HD LTZ or optioning the 20" chrome wheels with the accompanying all terrain tires.

I live in Colorado at 7500' most of the year so performance in snow can intermittently matter as well as handling because of the constant curves that are part of mountain driving. I have driven a 2023 HD with 20" wheels and found it surprisingly live-able in a relatively short road test on flat city streets and briefly on the interstate. It was more jittery than a 1500 I drove but not dramatically so. I wasn't able to take it around any mountain curves or over rough roads or speed bumps though. I hear lowering the tire pressure from the door sticker specs can help improve the ride quality.

I won't be towing heavy loads or carrying large payloads often enough that I believe that should be a factor in tire choice. I admit to buying this truck mostly because of what I consider to be it's outstanding power train and superior range on the highway. This truck will be driven mostly on long road trips where range, comfort, space and power are most important to me. I prefer the appearance of the 20" wheels overall but wouldn't mind saving the $1,600 upgrade cost if I can be swayed to 18's.

I'm familiar with most of the arguments for and against the different wheel/tire sizes.
18's: Softer more comfortable ride and more wheel protection from the extra cushion the taller sidewalls give on the 18" tires. Also cheaper to replace by $300 a set or so. Perhaps better in deep snow with the narrower foot print.
20's: Shorter sidewalls are stiffer and squirm less around corners for better handling. Larger contact patch might shorten braking distances.

I have noticed the differences I mention above on cars I have owned but have no first hand experience with a Silverado HD. Are the differences truly noticeable or just to subtle to worry about?

Any first hand experience from 2020-2023 HD owners who've compared 18's vs 20's back to back would be appreciated. Thanks again. John