Astro 1985-2005
Chevy's first entry into the minivan class, offered in All Wheel Drive to add to its versatility.
Platform: M-Body

1989 K1500 Questions.

Search this Thread

Old January 16th, 2021, 8:20 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1989 K1500 Questions.

Picked this up for $150. Engine allegedly rebuilt and has 60k on it. Runs strong so far.

Couple things:

1. Recommendations on where to find parts for interior and mechanical. Or what years could I salvage from? Pick n pull salvage in my area have none of these.

2. I've seen products for interior enamel spray paint. These any good? Like if I can't find the interior colors I need would these enamel paints cover well enough?
Old January 16th, 2021, 1:46 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Kwithem
Picked this up for $150. Engine allegedly rebuilt and has 60k on it. Runs strong so far.

Couple things:

1. Recommendations on where to find parts for interior and mechanical. Or what years could I salvage from? Pick n pull salvage in my area have none of these.

2. I've seen products for interior enamel spray paint. These any good? Like if I can't find the interior colors I need would these enamel paints cover well enough?
You have a GMT-400 pickup, but things changed over those years.so they are not all the same. You have an OBD I computer system for instance, and a TBI fuel injection system, not exactly like a spider type fuel injection system,at all.

Pick and Pull type places have "professional" men stripping anything of value off the new inventory coming in so they are worthless these days, for most people now. Likely up until 1994-1995, you'll find what you need somewhere. After that time with OBD II, it won't be as easy or it won't fit with some items.

I cant speak of the paint stuff as I am not skilled in that area. At $150 USD I'd be changing all your fluids front to back.with synthetics, as the former owner likely let everything slide thus the price, How many total miles are on this Chevy, anyhow?
Old January 17th, 2021, 10:53 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
You have a GMT-400 pickup, but things changed over those years.so they are not all the same. You have an OBD I computer system for instance, and a TBI fuel injection system, not exactly like a spider type fuel injection system,at all.

Pick and Pull type places have "professional" men stripping anything of value off the new inventory coming in so they are worthless these days, for most people now. Likely up until 1994-1995, you'll find what you need somewhere. After that time with OBD II, it won't be as easy or it won't fit with some items.

I cant speak of the paint stuff as I am not skilled in that area. At $150 USD I'd be changing all your fluids front to back.with synthetics, as the former owner likely let everything slide thus the price, How many total miles are on this Chevy, anyhow?

There 363k miles on the body. The engine allegedly has 65k miles on it from a rebuild. When I got the truck it didn't run and had been sitting for 2 almost 3 months.
new plugs, wires, distributor, starter, battery cables got her running again. I did see an oil pan leak and a power steering leak.

The down side of this project other than the door panels being trashed is not knowing who did the rebuild. There's some things they did that made no sense. Example took off the air cleaner system to put an Edlebrock breather on it that doesn't fit. I'm assuming for nothing more than the look. My hopes is to clean it up. Replace the interior and restore it. My experience was these engines were tough to kill. Hopefully I'm not wrong
Old January 19th, 2021, 6:53 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Kwithem
There 363k miles on the body. The engine allegedly has 65k miles on it from a rebuild. When I got the truck it didn't run and had been sitting for 2 almost 3 months.
new plugs, wires, distributor, starter, battery cables got her running again. I did see an oil pan leak and a power steering leak.

The down side of this project other than the door panels being trashed is not knowing who did the rebuild. There's some things they did that made no sense. Example took off the air cleaner system to put an Edlebrock breather on it that doesn't fit. I'm assuming for nothing more than the look. My hopes is to clean it up. Replace the interior and restore it. My experience was these engines were tough to kill. Hopefully I'm not wrong
Nah, the 5.7 is a good motor. The TBI is better than a carb too.