Astro 1985-2005
Chevy's first entry into the minivan class, offered in All Wheel Drive to add to its versatility.
Platform: M-Body

1998 Astro Van AWD - Where's the coolant going?

Search this Thread

Old August 14th, 2010, 10:58 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face 1998 Astro Van AWD - Where's the coolant going?

Let me preface this by saying, I'm not a "car girl"..... I'm a wife/mommy and am willing to learn. Husband was transferred out of state and can only guide me by phone.

My son, 18, was given a car by the neighbors. It sat for four years in their woods. They didn't stop driving it for problems. They stopped because they both got new cars and they were waiting for their son to get his license. Well he didn't want the van. So it sat. They offered it up, we towed it over here. Got it running for a bit, then realized I wasn't hearing fuel pump, found a mechanic and had it replaced. Cost me one of our dirt bikes.

In the meantime a few brake lines went, my husband did those when he came home.

Engine runs great, trans feels great.

Two weeks ago started overheating. Added coolant, 2 gals. Last night I drove it, (I usually don't but son is not mechanical and thought I should.) I noticed wildly fluctuating engine temps. Sure enough, radiator low and overflow bottle empty. Filled both with water to get home, overflow bottle now empty. So fluid is going somewhere.

Here's what I've deduced so far.

No puddles on the ground anywhere. Nothing on top of engine or engine compartment wet.

Checked oil. Oil level fine, and it's just oil on the dipstick. I don't see it overly full and it is normally clear oily feel. I don't see anything to suspect there is coolant/water in it. I was worried about head gasket.

When I looked under car, and I didn't climb all the way under, I will, I saw dripping off of what I think is the transaxle?, the round larger object directly between the front wheels, center of car, some very light red watery fluid just. Just barely a couple drips were hanging on it. Not a steady drip. In ten minutes I never saw it drip, only saw it hanging there. Reached it with a napkin. Very light, very watery, but light pink, or light orange/red. Really light though. As if you put a drop of red/orange paint in a jar of water.

Now, not thinking that coolant is usually green, I wondered if there was anyway water/coolant could get in trans fluid? So I started the car and checked trans fluid. It seems very normal, clear with red tint, not muddy at all and at normal levels. Not overly full. So I think that is not the case either.

So here's my question: Where else could coolant go? Could it have anything to do with the fluid I see dripped? Is that fluid probably another issue? I was trying to remember if power steering fluid is red and watery?
Could it be a water pump, and is there any chance the coolant was red. My son doesn't remember from when I had him put it in.

I checked master cylinder and all was well there. I know I may sound very amateur at this. I am. I really don't know cars except for little bits by necessity. But I'm not a dumb mom and I'm willing to figure it out. My husband will have so many car repairs to do when he gets home and is only back for Labor day weekend. My oldest is mechanically inclined and is in the process of tearing down his Saturn motor, with some help from an uncle. But has no time really. So I'm kind of on my own. Our Aztek got a rod nock last week, so it's parked. And my Suburban has a code flagged, EVAP, but I think it's out of my league to change. Maybe? I don't know. Overhwelmed with car issues at the moment and can not afford to pay much to fix at this point. So I need to learn. Thanks for any help you can give and any direction to point me in.

Kristan
Old August 14th, 2010, 11:12 AM
CF Beginner

Oh, just remembered, we bought Dexcool for coolant. So it was orange. So I'm thinking it's the coolant I'm seeing running along the bottom of the vehicle. Everything around the radiator is dry.
Old August 14th, 2010, 1:48 PM
CF Beginner

From under the vehicle, I see coolant running down side of trans and back driver's side of engine. Can't tell if coming from bolts on side of engine? Can I take off the cowling inside the van to see more?
Old August 15th, 2010, 11:38 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

seems like it is coming from the intake manifold, does it run rough? also the thermostat should be changed, that is more than likely why it overheated on your son, im not sure if there is a cover on the floor like older vans, but it couldnt hurt to check, if you are lucky it could be the intake gasket, if you arent lucky it could be the head gasket (beyond your abilities)
Old August 15th, 2010, 11:41 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

look down 4 posts in main astro galery, another guy had the same problem, and he changed his himself
Old August 15th, 2010, 5:18 PM
CF Beginner

I have the same prob. My driver side intake manifold has the leak. Just found a job so in about 2 months ill be able to fix it about $400 job. But just so it would stop leaking i bout radiatior pellets. So far so good after 6,500 miles. from what i saw on some post here, chevy i think used plastic gasket????? So see if thats the problem mine leaked in the back so i have to take the engine cover off =(. good luck
Old August 16th, 2010, 6:39 AM
CF Active Member

Replacing the stock intake manifold gasket is fairly common on these vans. I had to take care of Green's this past winter. Time consuming, but not that hard to do.
Old August 19th, 2010, 8:24 AM
CF Beginner

I am thinking everyone's right about intake gasket. However, this one thing bothers me. The engine is a bit wet right where the intake meets the block on the left side, under the valve cover. When I run the engine, that dries up, obviously from heat, but there is nothing leaking out at that time. It would seem there would be leaking that I could see then, since it only leaks when the engine is running (under pressure).

Also, here's the other point. From underneath, there is coolant leaking down the side of the trans.....which I get could be from the intake gasket. BUT, it is also leaking down the front center axle. If it's an intake, how could it be dripping down there too? Seems too far away. And I see no trail.

Is there any chance it could be from somewhere else and it's dripping back to the engine and forward to the axle at the same time? Just seems odd that it only drips under pressure while it's running, but under pressure while it's running I see nothing coming from that intake.

I'm sure you guys can explain it....I just don't have enough experience to know. I think i need to find some mirrors on sticks to see farther.
Old August 19th, 2010, 8:26 AM
CF Beginner

Oh, I did do the Bar's Leak too. So far, hasn't stopped it.
Old August 19th, 2010, 10:41 AM
CF Active Member

If the intake manifold gasket is leaking the fluid can travel front or back resulting in the leak looking like it comes from several places.

Has the interior engine cover been removed yet? It's the best way to spot intake manifold gasket leaks.

Quick Reply: 1998 Astro Van AWD - Where's the coolant going?