Astro 1985-2005
Chevy's first entry into the minivan class, offered in All Wheel Drive to add to its versatility.
Platform: M-Body

1999 Astro suddenly overheating and cant keep coolant

Search this Thread

Old December 19th, 2013 | 10:23 AM
CF Beginner

Exclamation 1999 Astro suddenly overheating and cant keep coolant

I noticed last night the Astro was overheating, so I stopped at a store, popped the hood, and realized their was nothing in the radiator or the reservoir. So I ran inside and bought a gallon of water. I poured it straight in the radiator, and thought all was well. Then I got down on my hands and knees and noticed water dripping from all over the bottom of the engine. So I put a few more gallons in, and went back on my journey.. Well a good 30 minutes later, the temperature rose into the red. So I stopped and put the other gallon I still had in, lowering the temperature back down to about 210, and allowing me to make it home.

Now I need to go to work, and its still pouring everything out.. Im not a mechanic at all, and really have no idea where to start. So my question to the rest of the chevroletforum is simple. Where do I start to diagnose and fix this problem? Money is limited, but Im not afraid to get down there and turn a wrench myself, if only I knew where to start...

Any help would be appreciated.
Old December 19th, 2013 | 12:09 PM
Administrator

welcome to the forum...
is it coming from the front or back
I'd start with replacing all the hoses...
and go from there if you still have leaks, then look at the water pump and radiator
Old December 19th, 2013 | 2:28 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the welcome, I took it to this old friend of the family who noticed immediately the heater core valve had broken off and their were 2 hoses just hanging there.. I dont know how I missed it, but he put on a new one in about 30 minutes and the van seems to be sittin pretty again..

Thanks anyway!