Astro 1985-2005
Chevy's first entry into the minivan class, offered in All Wheel Drive to add to its versatility.
Platform: M-Body

2000.... voltage dip problem

Search this Thread

Old March 23rd, 2013, 2:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 2000.... voltage dip problem

Have a good one I think. When starting out, the voltage will dip to around 9 volts and return to normal when letting off the gas. A few times the van actually stalled. No problem restarting. Seems to only happen at low speeds. Has new battery. Had a new starter and trans safety switch about two months ago. Battery cables were loose but are tight now. Runs fine at highway speeds. Rev. engine in neutral fine. Did notice that it happened once when going over a very bumpy road which makes me believe a grounding problem or maybe the connection at the starter? Will not go back to mechanic because of other problems. Could the alternator load the battery if faulty? Alternator is 30 months old. Serpentine belt fine. .....

Last edited by dimento; March 23rd, 2013 at 5:23 PM.
Old March 24th, 2013, 1:08 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Sounds like loose connection somewhere.
Old March 27th, 2013, 5:54 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2000 voltage dip problem

Need to add some more info. Checked for loose connections, but so far all is tight. The drop in voltage is a "smooth" drop to around 11 volts and goes back up when I ease off the gas. Earlier post said 9, but I think eleven is more accurate. Will meter it today to be more accurate. It only happen at low speeds and "mostly" when starting out in the morning. I can run at highway speeds all day. Even if alternator is failing, I would think the battery would hold up a bit better that 11 volts or so. Maybe the alternator is loading down the battery due to a faulty regulator circuit? Would like to run it without the alternator in the circuit, but tricky and not advised from what I know. Ready to try a new alt. and check the serpentine belt tension first. Also after engine normal shutdown, after 20 seconds the gas gauge pops up to the current fuel level! I know there is a 20 second timer to shut down any stuff left on, but?????

Last edited by dimento; March 27th, 2013 at 12:31 PM.
Old April 2nd, 2013, 9:21 AM
CF Beginner

Default the fix is in

Problem seems to be the +12vdc cable going to the starter motor rubbing against the motor frame, etc. Had this replaced some months ago by a "mechanic"?
Was never routed correctly, duct tape, etc. Now being fixed by a mechanic who I can trust. Second time burned by this repair shop. Forgot to plug in my accessory connection to the doghouse after replacing the oil pressure sending unit. Also I fixed my heater vents with a loose hose on the manifold in the same area as the switch. When I get the charred wire back from my trusted mechanic, I wonder how far it will reach. Thanks for the help guys...