Astro 1985-2005
Chevy's first entry into the minivan class, offered in All Wheel Drive to add to its versatility.
Platform: M-Body

2001 Chevy Astro Van..Coolant Prob...

Search this Thread

Old March 10th, 2010, 12:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face 2001 Chevy Astro Van..Coolant Prob...

. Wow first of all this a cool site. Beats going to a rip off mech. I have coolant Issue' s with My van. there is this hissing noise coming out of some tank like shape object on the upper right in front of the engine bay. tube are connected to the radiator. coolant tank is almost empty. Can any one tell me whats wrong and what part a may need to buy? Dont want to run the Van and get stuck. Money is tight.
Old March 10th, 2010, 1:34 PM
CF Beginner

Unhappy Mistake....

Ok It dont look like a coolant Prob. The line donst come from the radiator it the one in front of it. a line plus some kind of silver tank and attched to another line. the line with the siver tank runs below the oil refill thinga ma jig. that were the hissing sound is coming from. Can somebody help me pls.
Old March 10th, 2010, 1:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

maybe a picture or two of exactly what you're looking at would help us to help you. it's hard to know a thingy ma jig without seein it.
Old March 11th, 2010, 5:41 AM
CF Active Member

I think you are describing part of the AC system, as it has a silver canister on the passenger side with lines that run to the AC compressor on the drivers side near the oil filler tube. What happens when you run the AC, does it blow cold? Does it still make noise if you turn the HVAC off? If it's the AC system, it's okay to drive.

Just to be safe though. With the engine cool, remove the radiator cap. What is the coolant level? Is it visible?

The coolant reservoir tank has hot and cold marks on the drivers side. The cold mark is roughly the same level as where the hose from the radiator connects to it, so the normal cold level is quite low.
Old March 11th, 2010, 10:24 AM
CF Beginner

Smile hey thanks for the reply..

No im sure its not the ac. I had that fixed In Las vegas. Its some line Hooked up to a small radiator In front of the main radiator. It travels back to the rear goes under the motor oil spout. It has some kinda silver tank attached to it. I would run the van and the motor temp guage would go up and down. As long as im on the road going steady its fine. but when im stoped it would go up and down. But ill do my best to get a picture. Thanks agian for the responce.

Last edited by jcbdelta1; March 11th, 2010 at 10:26 AM.
Old March 11th, 2010, 10:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

that small radiator you're referring to is either the evaporator for the a/c system or possibly a trans cooler. i would say the evap since most stock trans coolers are built into the main radiator.
Old March 11th, 2010, 10:21 PM
CF Active Member

Took a look at my vans, that line is indeed part of the AC system.
Old March 13th, 2010, 11:48 AM
CF Beginner

Question thanks..

I know that there are two silver tanks in the engine bay that are visable. the large silver tank is for the a/c which i know. That one is on the right when your standing in front of the van. But there is a small on one on the left. So your saying thats Part of the a/c aswell? My question is that is that normal for it to make a hissing noise, and for the temp guage yo go up and down? Is it safe to drive like maybe to tahoe and not brake down on me. the engine is still running fine. Ty ihatemybike.. This is a 2001 chevy astro van 4.3..

Last edited by jcbdelta1; March 13th, 2010 at 11:51 AM.
Old March 13th, 2010, 12:14 PM
CF Beginner

Talking Wow...

Hey Broda!!!! Your right it is the A/C System....Now I have a biGGer Prob...Were Going to Tahoe, Im From Nor CAL. And it gets cold as **** here esp were Im going. A/C works But the Heater Dosn't Work Crap. Are there any ways to fix that prob Than going to a shop? Got any ideas for me.
Old March 14th, 2010, 11:23 AM
CF Active Member

No heat usual mean low coolant. The fluctuation in engine temps concerns me. I really want you to check the coolant in the radiator.

Is the HVAC blower still working?

The hissing AC is probably a line leak after the compressor.

When is your trip?

PM me for my phone #, if you need quicker help.