Astro 1985-2005
Chevy's first entry into the minivan class, offered in All Wheel Drive to add to its versatility.
Platform: M-Body

help needed chevy astro van fuel prob, i think

Search this Thread

Old August 21st, 2010, 10:55 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help needed chevy astro van fuel prob, i think

Hi there,
i,m a first time chevy owner the van is
4.3L
petrol / converted to gas aswell
astro van
left hand drive
80,000 miles

I bought this van about 3 months ago and decided to get the gas conversion done as recommended for fuel consumption purposes.

The van also needed the plug and leads doing as it was misfiring alot.

I have now had the spark plug changed, dizi cap, leads, r arm and afterwards the van was driving like a dream.
Then......

went out yesterday stopped at cash and carry then when i tried to start again it just kept turning over and over like a fuel problem.
recovery came out but they didnt know very much about the make and the gas conver so all they were able to do was take me and the van home. Yes alot of help lol

Know im at a loose end.
I live in the uk so not very many know much about these models and so dont really want to touch them. And even less know much about gas conversions so i dont nkow what to do with it or who to take it too.

Any help would be much appreciated
thanks in advance
colin <!-- / message --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig --><!-- END TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig -->
<!-- controls -->
Old August 21st, 2010, 12:34 PM
CF Beginner

sorry im such a noob on these things but just turned the ignition and the psi reading is zero. dont know what it is when started as it wont start sorry.

hope this helps.

does it mean the fuel pump has packed in/ fuel filter blocked/ ????

im not really mechanically minded just trying to trouble shoot before seeking help
Old August 21st, 2010, 7:08 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lets keep this in this area, since this one has the info, the pressure you said, this is gasoline fuel pressure?
Old August 22nd, 2010, 10:16 AM
CF Active Member

Will it fire if you spray a 2 second shot of starting fluid in the intake. If that is the gasoline/petrol pressure, than yeah might be a bad pump. In which case I'd swap the fuel filter first to see what happens, then move onto the pump. However, I'm guessing your CNG converter installed a gauge to monitor that tank and I'm thinking 0 psi means an empty tank. Is their a switch that lets you choose between petrol and CNG?

Who was your converter and which make/model system did they install?
Old May 17th, 2012, 3:23 PM
CF Beginner

why I can't pump gas in my chevy astro van 1997? It takes fuel but little by little like if there was something blocking it? Could it be the fuel tank damage?
Old June 27th, 2012, 5:10 AM
CF Beginner

Default hope its of some help

Hi yes had the same thing with my van. to stop and start i put it on to pet and then on to the gas and this helped starting if you have the standard air box drill 2 holes in the top as some times you will get back fire or put K&N on this helps to. make sure you clean the in take well hope this helps you. Dave
Old December 30th, 2012, 2:17 AM
CF Beginner

Default Chevrolet Astro Passenger Van real fuel consumption

At first you must see the real fuel consumption on your Chevrolet Astro Passenger Van on gasoline and then and then do a comparison. Hear you can see the real fuel consumption on your Chevrolet Astro Passenger Van Chevrolet Astro Passenger Van fuel consumption, miles per gallon or litres/ km | Cars Fuel Consumption

Also here you can see the real tank capacity and other technical data.