Astro 1985-2005
Chevy's first entry into the minivan class, offered in All Wheel Drive to add to its versatility.
Platform: M-Body

95 Astro van coolant leak tough spot

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2010, 10:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sorry:(

sorry fatso67 I was just unhappy w my own lack of progress in finding and fixing my 95 Astro racevan.So i guess it made me feel better to be condescending and mean.Most people who do stuff like that are just unhappy with themselves,I was no exception.On a lighter note,I believe I'm running fine,now that i put egr valve back on right,i think tourque converter sticks sometimes to make van surge when stopped at red lights,and I'm NOT gonna pull my tranny,I'm just gonna stop stopping!LOL
Old July 11th, 2010, 12:27 AM
CF Beginner

Default Chronic Cooling System Maymem

Coolant leaks much like the plague seem to be ubiquitous at times, for me it has been at least the last six months. The story begins about two years ago when my somewhat trusty 99 developed a slow leak. I bought some ginger root horse pills that I crushed with a ball peen...several treatments of the pulverized ginger root kept the leak under control making all tollerable in the world. About six months ago I was forced to have the intake to heads and block top gasket replaced. This was the true correct fix!
About three weeks ago the tank on the drivers side of the radiator cracked and began to leak about a quart per day per 75 miles. After checking labor rates I decided to change the rad myself. A decent aftermarket unit was $138 so with 2.5 hours of steady work and some cold beer my trusty Astro once again prowls the streets. No leaks for the first time in two years, now if I can fix my vacuum leaks and plugged front evaporator drain all will be right with the world. Russell
Old August 14th, 2010, 8:35 AM
Banned

Arrow nice!

Yes.goodArizona CardinalsAtlanta FalconsBaltimore RavensBuffalo BillsCarolina Panthers
Old August 15th, 2010, 11:48 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fatso67, if you havent bought a new engine yet, may i suggest using JB Weld on the crack? my father has done it many times ofer the years and if you do it properly, it works well, u have to grind along the crack and expose the crack and clean it, then you apply the JB Weld to it and make sure it gets into the crack, then let it dry, hope it saves you a new engine
Old August 21st, 2010, 10:37 AM
CF Beginner

sounds like a good idea,I would definately try it
Old August 21st, 2010, 10:46 AM
CF Beginner

I mean it cant hurt and I have heard JB Weld when properly applies is good stuff,Idk what kind of pressure coolant is under but I have a leak around my thermostat where someone long ago used silicone,just now started leaking @ 259,000 miles,I'm tempted to put some Juicy Fruit there after Im done w it some day,or just replace thermostat and do it right ,I'm also gonna yank that damn fan out and put an electrical one in front of radiator
Old August 21st, 2010, 12:27 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

best to change the thermostat every 2 or 3 years anyway, it is cheap insurance to avoid an overheated engine, and my father swears by JB weld (i like to fix things properly), but when broke and down and out, it is worth the $10 to try