Astro 1985-2005
Chevy's first entry into the minivan class, offered in All Wheel Drive to add to its versatility.
Platform: M-Body

Bad fuel pump / n e 1 ever install in line pump?

Search this Thread

Old October 14th, 2010, 12:06 PM
BWS
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Bad fuel pump / n e 1 ever install in line pump?

I have a beat up Astro with 200K miles on it. The fuel pump is bad. I am fixing this van up to sell. The garage wants $600 to install a new fuel pump. I would be happy to get that much for this van!!

My question...Has anyone installed an external in-line fuel pump to fix this issue?
I would like to hear pros and cons all advice is welcomed.
Brian
Old October 18th, 2010, 8:07 PM
CF Beginner

I have never tried an external pump but if you want to change the in-tank fuel pump yourself you can get a new AC Delco kit to fix your problem off of EBay for about $60.00. It comes with a new pump, screens and wiring. It is not the complete unit like the garage will replace but why spend the extra if you don't need it.
Old October 18th, 2010, 9:51 PM
CF Active Member

What year is the van?

The pumps aren't that hard to replace. One of the first projects I tackled with these vans.

I've only seen one inline pump done and they said it would have been about as easy to replace the pump properly.

Here's what I have on fuel pumps so far.
https://sites.google.com/site/astros...el-pumps-tanks

You might be able to sell your van as a mechanic's special. My 97 I bought knowing it needed fuel pump work.
Old October 19th, 2010, 11:50 AM
BWS
CF Beginner

Default van year

Thanks for your reply. This van is a 99.

Originally Posted by ihatemybike
What year is the van?

The pumps aren't that hard to replace. One of the first projects I tackled with these vans.

I've only seen one inline pump done and they said it would have been about as easy to replace the pump properly.

Here's what I have on fuel pumps so far.

You might be able to sell your van as a mechanic's special. My 97 I bought knowing it needed fuel pump work.
Old October 19th, 2010, 12:31 PM
BWS
CF Beginner

Default ideas and suggestions welcomed

Thanks guys for your advise.
This van is a 99. I had done a bit of surfing and from what I read it looked like this could be a real btch of a job. This van has above average rust. I do not have the connecter tools. ( I know they are not very expensive.)

I had the idea that installing an in line external fuel pump might be a solution. Then I started wondering about check valves or other things that I may not be thinking through. It seems like I could use the wire from the internal pump for the lead. The fuel filter replacement was a real chore.

I like the idea of selling it as is but would rather not have that as an issue.

I have owned a number of these in my service fleet and right now I have three. This issue and the electronic moduals are the only weak links in these vans. They have been outstanding reliable units. I had an all wheel drive safari great winter driver and traveler. I can't beleive GM ended these full frame trucks.

Thanks for the link to the fuel pumps. You assistance and comments are appreciated!
Old October 20th, 2010, 5:37 AM
CF Active Member

Really the pumps aren't the much of a pain to do. I've never used the connector tool. The connectors have two tabs that need to be pressed down to release. I've always done it with a couple screwdrivers.

A friend of mine just had good luck with one of the ACDelco rebuild kits.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-A...#ht_2464wt_682
Old January 15th, 2011, 2:15 PM
CF Beginner

I'm now ready for my 5th fuel pump in less than 2 years on my Chevy Astro van, 2wd extended 4.3. Really wishing I should just slap on an external fuel pump. It always happens when we have a full tank of gas it seems. The guy with the link, talking about using the good ones makes me wonder if that is my issue, as price was always a factor so likely the shops all used the cheapest option.

Could there be another underlining issue is why so many problems? The last fuel pump change lasted around 2 month.

I'm just about brave enough to tackle this issue myself... but then again with the pump under warranty it will only cost me about $200 labor... what do I do? Any ideas that could be causing my multiple issues?
Old January 15th, 2011, 10:53 PM
CF Active Member

Cheap pumps and these vans are a bad combination. Nothing, really nothing lasts aside from ACDelco/Delphi pumps. Thanks to the internet the good pumps can be bought for the same price as the cheap ones at the local auto parts stores. Since I've had a few of these vans I've bought from here a couple times and there service was good.
http://store.getgmparts.com/fuel-pumps.html

You can look up which pump you need on this page I made.

Pumps really aren't that hard to do yourself and the dead pump is usually only weak and can pump the fuel out of the tank after the fuel lines are disconnected.

If you need phone support PM for my number, I'll be glad to help.

Also, once the new pump is in change the fuel filter at least every 20k miles.
Old January 21st, 2011, 7:22 AM
CF Junior Member

Smile

GO WITH Aaron on this...If you check my past post I went thru hell due to human error..but It is very easy to do..Here's the steps that you should take. Buy the COMPLETE FUEL PUMP....Trust me

You'll need an engine jack (with some 2x4's will help), needle nose/clip style pliers, flat head SD and patience...better to have a lil less than a 1/4 tank but at least 2 5gallon cans of fuel (makes handling the tank easier) and an extra set of hands!!

Use the engine jack with the 2x4's or something that will make a good base. Some will say to remove gas from the lines..Well I say change the fuel filter drain it from there then go for the tank.

After removing the straps...and and all else....lower the tank so that you can remove the hose from the BODY of the VAN....then lower it a lil more so that you can get to the plastic caps ON THE VAN (Flat head)....reason I went for this method is because to try from the top of the tank you will hanve to lower alot more and then you will stretch the lines and harder to remove. If you changed the filter won't be much fuel in the lines..but wear goggles just in case....

Once you remove the lines your good to go....

take the tank to a table and before removing the Fuel pump..CLEAN THE ARE AROUND THE PUMP...keeps from geting trash in the tank....

You'll see the big C Clip...use the Needle nose or CLIP removal Pliers.....

Now the only issue I had with the transaction was the new O ring...it wouldn't seal...the mechanic at the hobby shop tld me to use the old one....so I did..once installed...do the reverse.....

Drop the 10 gallons in.....turn the key FWD...listen for the WHINE...turn it off...wait 30 secs...do it again....(I DID THIS 3'Xs to make sure it primed..

I was good to go!!

it took me a total of 1 hour to do this...(HELL TRIAL AND LOTS OF ERRORS PAID OFF)

Hope this works for you!!