Astro 1985-2005
Chevy's first entry into the minivan class, offered in All Wheel Drive to add to its versatility.
Platform: M-Body

Chevy wake up!

Search this Thread

Old September 8th, 2009, 10:28 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chevy wake up!

Hey Chevy, you drop the Astro/Safari.

Then
Chrysler redesigned the Caravan with a big square rear door (Cargo).
and
Ford imports their European Transit Connect. Little van, big box (Cargo).

Meanwhile
The Uplander always sucked.

Your market share is calling! Update the Astro, save money by not creating a twin. Parts bin engineering is OK, just bring it back.
Old September 9th, 2009, 11:54 PM
CF Beginner

Default Why !

This is something I have been wanting to ask. Was there a reason for dropping production of the astro/safari line in 05. Its seems like every service company on the planet had and has one and it is still very popular as a family vehical. It must have been a great seller for gm and imagine if they started production again,I bet it would out sell every other van. To top it off its a really good looking (NOT THE EARLY ONES! LOL) van. I mean look at the caravan.windstar,that toyota thing with a windshield the size of a store front picture window and what ever other ones out there the astro is much cooler. Anyway was just wondering if anybody had read or heard anything about why they stoped making them. I think I`ll make a phone call in the mourning and ask them to start making them again!!! LOL
Old September 10th, 2009, 6:53 AM
CF Active Member

From what I've read GM didn't want to spend the money upgrading/retooling to bring the aging Astro bodies up to current government mandated safety specs and the changes that would need to be made with the demise of the 4.3L engine.

I did hear the Baltimore plant was going to be demolished, but don't know how far they have got. Here's the Wiki on it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltimore_Assembly
Old September 10th, 2009, 3:47 PM
CF Active Member

Using Google maps, it appears the buildings are gone.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...15621&t=h&z=15