Astro 1985-2005
Chevy's first entry into the minivan class, offered in All Wheel Drive to add to its versatility.
Platform: M-Body

hvac controls temperature adjust

Search this Thread

Old September 29th, 2009, 4:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hvac controls temperature adjust

Hi Everyone,

new here, first post.

I have a 96 Astro van that I use as a daily driver and to cart around my track bike in the summer. It's got high mileage(~311k kms) but it runs well and is in great shape for its age and mileage. I just fixed it's most recent problem by replacing the distributor cap and rotor as she was running a little rough down low, looks like someone used a non delco cap and rotor I think. all is good now, with new delco parts.

The latest issue I noticed now that the weather is getting cooler is with the hvac controls(i think). I tried to put on the heat one cool morning and noticed it was blowing cold no matter the temp setting. First thought was low coolant but coolant level seems ok as I could see coolant when opening the rad cap. So after changing the aforementioned cap and rotor I was out test driving it to see if the rough running had fixed itself and I noticed the heat was working again, so I thought cool the issue must have resolved itself. Well last night was cool again so I went to put the heat on(the temp adjuster was back on cool so had to be move to the warm side) and nothing but cool air again. Now I am thinking maybe the air mix/air blend valve/flapper is sticking or not functioning properly.

however, I have no service manual and am not sure a) where said valve/flapper is locate or b) if it is electric or vaccuum powered. Any help would be appreciated. Is this a common failure? Easy/hard job(I am pretty handy/mechanically inclined, I fix things(not cars) for a living)?

PS I did pick up a new thermostat while I was getting my cap/rotor at the stealer but engine temps seem ok @ 1/4 the way up the gauge, never wavers even under summer heat and loads so I am hesitant to mess with the cooling system.

Thanks,

kevin

Last edited by ouldsmobile; September 29th, 2009 at 4:40 PM.
Old September 29th, 2009, 4:32 PM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kevin,
wait just a little while and 1Gary will be able to answer your question in detail.
Meanwhile go to the user control panel and set up your signiture, include your Astro, year and engine size.
Lastly, drop in the new member area and say hello.
Old September 30th, 2009, 7:48 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Gary
Take a look at the vac lines.Pull the dog house off so you can get to those lines.Hummm-I agree with a the cap rotor swap,but could the ruff idle been related to a vac leak in the first place??.Going to try to get ya a diagram of the vac lines in the meantime.And yes there is a valve for the flapper.You'll see while you look at the vac lines.
I should have clarified that the van was not idling rough at all. It was misfiring/shuddering under load between about 10-40km/h and then would smooth out. The new cap/rotor cleared that right up and the on the old cap I noticed the terminals inside were pretty burnt and worn looking leading me to believe that someone maybe had put a non delco cap on it.

So the temp control is controlled by vaccuum? I though the **** for the temp control felt more like a rheostat than a vac control but I was just speculating. The vent control **** works fine and I know that is vaccuum controlled as I can hear it when changed. My heat seems to be working now and it seems as long as I leave the temp control **** alone it continues to work.

Kevin