Astro 1985-2005
Chevy's first entry into the minivan class, offered in All Wheel Drive to add to its versatility.
Platform: M-Body

Need help...2002 Astro

Search this Thread

Old July 31st, 2012, 3:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help...2002 Astro

Trying to fix a broken Astro and need some help. Came in not starting...no crank no trying to start, dead all around (battery is fine, electronics work). Owner requested a new starter, so that went on first...still nothing. It is blowing the 40 amp ignition1 fuse the second you turn the key. I've taken all wires off the starter except the main power (fusible link and the other one) and it is still blowing fuses without trying to start. I can't find any damaged wiring anywhere. I'm beginning to think it has to be in the ignition. Have a wiring diagram, only 2 wires going through that fuse; one to the starter, one to the ignition. The one going to the starter isn't even hooked up right now.

I've been on this thing for two days and need to get it out! Any ideas appreciated. Thanks.
Old July 31st, 2012, 9:04 PM
CF Monarch

Received 363 Likes on 344 Posts

Look for shorted or frayed wires to the ignition and starter. Even if the are disconnected, they may still be shorted.