Astro 1985-2005
Chevy's first entry into the minivan class, offered in All Wheel Drive to add to its versatility.
Platform: M-Body

Not Starting hahahaha

Search this Thread

Old January 18th, 2018, 4:45 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not Starting hahahaha

Astro van 1993 4.3 Vortec

Well I took the van for an emissions check this morning and then got it registered and insured,
afterwards it would not start, the fuel pump is not priming
I checked the relay it was not clicking took it off and connected 12 volts to it - it then clicked did an ohms check on the second circuit also good so the relay is OK
read on the internet that i could connect a cable to the grey wire which would start the fuel pump. this did not work I checked the connections on the relay socket 12+ volts on the orange cable & 2 seconds of 11.2 volts on the green cable when I turned on the ignition, it all seems correct but does not start only cranks does anybody have any ideas ? thanks in advance

Last edited by TALLMAN1402; January 22nd, 2018 at 6:34 PM.
Old January 24th, 2018, 9:25 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's your fuel pump. My 98 wouldn't start when I was camping about 50 miles up a gravel road. Tried cleaning the fuel filter with compressed air. Turned the key and it spurted gas so I thought the fuel pump was working. Reinstalled the filter and no start. The pump sounded like it was priming. Got a new fuel pump and that was the problem. I didn't have the ability to test before replacing. Your testing is pointing at a failed pump. I had to replace mine (1/2 full) in a field with basic tools using the vehicle jack, Even with that, my opinion is that it is better to drop the tank than cut a hole in the floor UNLESS you have a terrible corrosion problem. Hope that helps.