Astro 1985-2005
Chevy's first entry into the minivan class, offered in All Wheel Drive to add to its versatility.
Platform: M-Body

Spare tire carrier

Search this Thread

Old August 23rd, 2008, 1:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spare tire carrier

I am on my third Astro. I have previously installed a spare tire carrier on the rear door for carrying a full sized spare. I can never get a straight answer from GM as to whether the under body mount that carries the spare donut will support a full sized rim and spare. Any one know????

Thanks

[IMG]local://upfiles/19787/3C0C408B8090464A8F72D21446267858.jpg[/IMG]
Old November 2nd, 2008, 9:58 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Spare tire carrier

I'd say it would be okay, as long as the full-sizetire will physically fit under the vehicle. Here is my reasoning:that cable has a tremendous amount of force on it to begin with if you take into consideration the weight of the tire/wheelassembly and the force of cinching it in place. The factory wants no part of that tire coming out of there and hitting a vehicle behind you so they are going to put some stout parts in that mechanism. The full size tire isn't going to weigh that much more (assuming you use a steel rim with a narrow tire that is the same height as the tire/wheel combination you are currently running). Remember, you are going for effect, not looks.

The key consideration is the condition of the retaining cable and winch mechanism; be certain that the cable is not frayed (not even one strand) or rusty and that the winch is rust free, properly lubricated, and functionsas it should.