Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Got a cool sound system? Discuss all your Audio, Video, and other cool electronics here! Please limit the contents to aftermarket only. If you have questions that pertain to a certain model, post it in a model-specific section.

Malibu CD player problems!!!

Search this Thread

Old October 5th, 2008, 6:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Malibu CD player problems!!!

I have an 03 malibu that I just purchased today from a dealer and when I went to take it for a drive I grabbed my favorite cd and when I went to put it in it wouldn't go in because I felt it hitting another disc so I hit eject and I heard a terrible grinding/crunching noise and I figured that they left a broken cd in the player so when I got home I pulled the disc out using butter knives and a pair of pliers after about a half hour it was out and I took a cd and put it in and heard a clicking noise like when your battery dies trying to start a car and the disc popped back out I have no idea what the problem is I thought maybe lens but that wouldnt make the noise would it? Need help fast! I cant listen to the radio forever.
Old October 5th, 2008, 10:58 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Malibu CD player problems!!!

need a new radio
Old October 6th, 2008, 1:15 PM
CF Beginner

sounds to me like the motor in the cd player is toast. replace it if u got the $ since it is an 03 the harness maybe be around 100 bucks casue of the way the newer chevys are set up. the radio is actually apart of the electrical curcuit. that is why the harness is so expensive is casue that harness amkes the car think the factory radio is stilll there. if u dont use that harness and go the cheap route u will loose ur door chimes and u will prolly have dummy lights start going off fo not reason. like ur check engine and check oil lights.
Old October 6th, 2008, 10:20 PM
CF Beginner

what about aftermarket radios will they work better and will i still need a new harness i am going to put subs and an amp in and since this radio is junk would it just be better to go the aftermarket way?

I just found out that the harness will be $80 and the local audio shop only carries pioneer and sony head units just wondering what would be a good choice of head unit I am looking for something cheap but still has good functionability since I dont have extra dough to just throw around.